TN: 2003 J P Insignia

Nose of coffee and cranberries with just a little bit of menthol. Smells fresh, basically. Some oak as well. Delicious on the palate with bright berries, a bit of coffee and a healthy does of acid. Medium bodied, the oak does not follow through on the palate. A little glycerin and dust both. Some heat does creep in on the finish and theres some solid tannins left. This has nothing to envy the 02 or the 01 IMHO…

2002 was the last vintage I purchased. Fortunately I was able to get a 6-pack for $100/bottle before WS WOTY was announced. The price hikes in subsequent years took me out of this market. Sounds like I’m not missing too much…not at the current price point anyway.

Not missing much at all for the price. A good wine to be sure. (I picked a three pack of these for 85 each a while back and would not buy at current prices) They wanted $200 at the winery for the 05. It was a very good wine, but for 200 Id MUCH rather have Scarecrow, Maybach, HSS, etc etc etc. I thought that was crazy. Plus Ive since picked up a few bottles at $110 off WC.