TN: 08 Phelps Creek "Fleur de Roy" Rosé

It’s 80 degrees and sunny in Portland-- always a cause for celebration in spring. I never appreciated the sun when I lived in other places, but here, I feel almost worshipful.

2008 Phelps Creek Vineyards “Fleur de Roy” Rosé of Pinot Noir (USA, Oregon, Columbia Gorge)

Pale, blushing pink rosé saignée of Pinot Noir. Juicy ruby red grapefruit, spicy lychee, orange zest, and maybe a little cherryberry just because I expected some. The flavors carry through to the palate, which is light in body, crisp, zippy, and perfectly slurpable. Sunshine’s best complement. I love this rosé.

What the heck do I have to do with this?

You’re both light in substance but effervescent in spirit [d_sunny.gif]

PN Rose is my fav pink.

How much does it cost? I know most Rose is real reasonable but with this rave I was wondering. I agree that sun in Spring is a celebration in the Pacific Northwest and on 4/20 no less! [gen_fro.gif]

Kimberly, Steve says it was $17. It was a small production-- about 50 cases according to the retailer from whom we bought it.

JRochioli made one in 2005 that was sublime.

Glenn, when you say you like PN rosé, are there specific characteristics you have in mind? This was made with Pinot, but the dominant aromas were not ones I’d ever expect to find in a red Pinot.

the ones i have loved the best Melissa have had radiant Pinot bouquet and perhaps fool a person blind sniffing as true PN. taste & mouthfeel though is different with more lightness of being if that makes any sense.

i know i prefer Rose of PN more than that made from Grenache and Syrah. i do have a fondness for Mourvedre though too…

Not sure I’ve ever had a Pinot rosé like that, but I’d love to try one. Point out the ones you particularly enjoy this summer!

you too. i am a big pink guy in the summertime.

It took me a couple of summers of exposure to really embrace rose, but I’m there now. It’s fun, inexpensive, refreshing, and satisfying.

I think the turning point for me came when I realized that rose wasn’t a replacement for beer; rather, it’s in addition to beer.

Embrace your love of rose.

Consider a new affinity for pocket squares a warning sign that it has gone too far, however…