TNR: 2009 Oregon Pinot and/or Evesham Wood WV

You know i’m still accumulating 2007s, and actively waiting on more 2008 releases to stock up.
So i’m having a pretty hard time getting my brain around 2009.

OTOH I am being offered 2009 Evesham Wood WV at extremely nice prices.

Any thoughts on 2009, and EW in particular?

You’re going to have a tough time here. It’s EARLY for 2009s. Way early. EW has always released early, though, and the Willamette Valley bottlings have a tendency to be kind of unattractive for another 6-12 months from now. The 2007 at this stage was a downright ugly duckling. Six months later it was emerging as a lovely swan. Now, two years later, it’s probably a full-blown swan, though I haven’t had it in about a year.

2009 was a warm year and alcohols might be a bit high, though not like 2003 and 2006 from what little I’ve tasted (Vincent and Helioterra). That’s about as specific as I can get right now, except to say that EW at attractive prices isn’t much of a gamble in any vintage.

I can’t answer specifically about the EW, since I have not tasted the wine. However, I was completely floored with how well a couple of '09’s (the first that I have tasted – and both unreleased) were showing the past two days. The first was the '09 Le Cadeau Merci Pinot Noir. Tom Mortimer opened this at the vineyard on Tuesday evening. The second was the '09 D.H. Porth Dundee Hills Pinot Noir that Jim Maresh opened on Wednesday morning. Both of these wines had stunning aromatics. After spending heavily on '07’s and '08’s (still spending on both), I was thinking that the credit card would see a bit of a break in the coming year. However, after these first two data points, that assumption is being seriously reconsidered.

Now come on Greg. Not even thinking about 09, many of the better 08s are just starting to hit the market en masse. That card won’t cool off until mid/late 2011, unless you decide 09 really is your vintage. [snort.gif]

Bob is ofcourse, totally right about EW.

RT

I tried the Ayres 2009 Willamette Valley and it is showing great. It starts off in the nose with more dark fruit, a nice spice component and just carries through with a wonderful intensity on the finish. So far it is the best under $20 I have tried. I tasted it at the same time as the Evesham Wood 2009 WV. I liked the Ayres better. I would also make the comment that Evesham Wood always needs at least 6-12 months to flesh out.

Is there an echo in here? [rofl.gif]

I haven’t taken that leap yet. However, I do have sufficient data – two data points are one more than I typically need, in order to make sweeping generalizations and vintage proclamations! neener

Never let the facts stand in the way of a good fantasy Greg. How great is 2010? Isn’t there a Bordeaux “insider” already implying the pending glory of those grapes still being picked?

RT

I don’t have a specific tasting note, but I tried Russ’s '09 WV last week - quite young of course, but definitely a little richer, sweeter and rounder than the '08 or '07 were on release. But not quite as sweet as, and definitely with more structure than, his ‘06 WV. I use the terms rich and sweet only in a relative sense - compared to Russ’ other wines, not to a lot/most of other PN out there.

I have purchased 2-3 cases of Russ’ WV bottling every year for the last several and never been disappointed for a Tuesday night quaffer at this price point.

Yes, and he’s quite pleased with himself.

Absolutely. I’d never want to do that.

This is a perfect description of the '09 Le Cadeau that I tasted earlier this week. Also, almost word-for-word verbatim what Steven Westby, at Witness Tree, said.

Couldn’t agree more. The wine was much better the second time I tried it about 3 weeks ago and called it blind. I will start pouring the wine in BIB next week. FWIW, the 09 Bruno (made by Russ) is in a better place right now and a few dollars cheaper but I think it is only available in the Oregon market.

For me, the 09’s I’ve tasted are more forward than the 08’s. I think they will work very well as pop and pours in restaurants while we wait for the 08’s to unwind.

You mean these guys are letting the vintage show itself? Outrageous!

I suspect for my palate the '09s from winemakers who make a leaner style willl be highly successful (ok, yes for my palate it’s like that every year), but more successful in '09 than in '06 where even the leaner vintners often struggled to keep it lean. I recently tasted through a bunch of '09 PN barrels at La Bete and it was an absolutely delicious group of wines across the board.

I attended an event at Brooks yesterday, and thought that both the 2009s (their low end cuvees) they poured were very nice, the regular 2009 being a little more fruit forward, while the Runaway Red was less fruity but had a really nice spice element.

Jim,

My two small children have ended my days of heading down to Oregon and tasting early, so I defer to those who have commented on the vintage. Evesham Wood is among a group of producers that I take every year without tasting or hesitation. Their wines are elegant while structured, but still find a way to be pleasurable on a visceral level as well. I think you’ll love them.

Rick, how would you describe the “house style”? I’ve tasted a couple but never a whole bottle. Similarities to EW?

RT

Wow, thanks for all the early comments on 2009. Just the response I desired.

Looking back through my CT records I did buy the 2008 EW WV in late September 2009, so in hindsight, I guess I am right on track and not actually early as I had thought. However, I did not get down to Portland to pick it up and try it until January.

So I have picked up a handful of bottles from a Portland shop - Sec Wines (great prices, btw).

Richard - also curious about Brooks. Did not really know anything about them going into IPNC this year. Had a few intriging tastes during the festival, but certainly do not have a sense of the operation yet.

FWIW, Russ bottled the '09 WV in a 3-liter bag in a box package. I don’t know if this is a first or not. Great move and one that ought to be practiced more.

Russ and Erin?

RT