Jonata, Hartwell Dumol

These three terrific wineries were amongst the numerous wineries that attended our 31st Annual Scottsdale Culinary Festival this past week.
Just a breif TN on some wines. Jonata now makes nine varietals. Their Sav Blanc is as good as I have tasted in years. A great nose of pear, pineapple and soft fresh fruit it was paired beautiful on two consecutive evenings with some of our great local chefs Mel Mecinas of Talavera at the Scottsdale Four Seasons and Mike Rousconi from Lon’s at the Hermosa Inn. Both great stops and places to stay when here in the Valley of Dry heat.
The Sangiovese is a large structured wine with a huge finish unlike any I have had of that varietal from Cal. The Syrah is a large boned, beautifully concentrated wine needing years in the cellar that will age beautifully. The Pinot is from purchased grapes and is also superb. Even Mr. Murphy was impressed. The Red Wine is 93% Cab, 4% Merlot and the rest Petit Verdot. . A soft Left Bank look alike it is well made and classy. It went great with the Mosconi Duck and foie gois in a beautiful reduction sauce.
The Cab is great. Pobega would swear Sonoma, but no, it is Santa Barbara. It is cleverly named Defiance (in Spanish) which reflects the winemaker’s reaction to his peers when advised he was growing Cab and Cab Franc on that property. The semillion is a classy Bordeaux like wine that will age beautifully and was paired with great deserts to top off great dinners.
Hartwell’s wine are also terrific. The Winemaker Benoit is a hoot. He hit on numerous female counterparts from other wineries. The cabs and Merlot are delish and worthy of cellaring.
Last but not least, Kerry Murphy from Dumol again brought his lush Chards, Pinots (Finn is always my favorite) and Syrah (Eddies Patch is superb). We had nine other great wineries, but I was so burned after being in the hot sun the whole weekend, I couldn’t taste anymore without sudden death.
Great wines, Great people, great times. Try em, you’ll like em.

Jack, sounds like a hoot.

FWIW, I have heard that Benoit was a lady’s man around town when he isn’t working at the winery.

What you heard is clearly true Tex. I offered to wipe the drool off of the arm of of the lovely and sexy Ms. Peju who Benoit worked in the Bar at the Hyatt after dinner.

I think Andy Smith is one of the best winemakers in CA. He does an amazing job at DuMol and Larkmead.

Benoit is quite the ladies man for sure…have seen him in action on more than one occasion…

but he doesn’t have the photographic proof of his moves like our very own Leo does!!

Jack,

Was Jonata pouring any of their second label? Did you speak with Ursula or whomever was there about this or Mr. Bank’s recent departure?!?!?

Cheers!

The Jonata wine dinner at Talavera was terrific. Chef Mel prepared for us a wonderful menu. The wines were excellent. For my palate the Sauvignon Blanc and the Cabernet were the superstars of the show. The SB impressed Mel so much that she thought that it would be worth buying even at $75 or so per bottle. The Cab was excellent, very smooth and long on the palate. And the Semillion was also impressive.

Thank you Jack!!! [drinkers.gif]

Larry they told me a lot about the second label. It is not released yet, will be a terrific wine and cost under $25.00. I may have found them a great local distributor, Awesome Wines who is a member of my charity and contributed Dumol , Hartwell, Cornerstone, Tres Sabones and other wineries. I think they may make a good match.
We spoke about Mr. Banks at length. The published reports about a peaceful buyout appear to be accurate. They were saddened by Mr. Bank’s departure and wish him nothing but the best.

Jack,

Thanks for the update . . . Was Ursula there? Wondering if she will be the new ‘front person’ for SE/Jonata . . .

I will have an opportunity to taste two of the new ‘second label’ wines this weekend at the Elements Santa Barbara Futures Event:

http://www.elementsrestaurantandbar.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interested to see what these are about . . . From what I’ve heard, these are meant to be ‘restaurant only’ wines . . .

You coming out for HdR in a few weeks?!?!?!

Cheers!

We had the very great pleasure of tasting with Matt Dees through Jonata’s lineup of 07’s from the barrel last week. What an eye opener! They were not even on my map before but now are going to be a must buy. Particularly stunning were the blend that will probably make up “Sangre” (the Syrah), the Cabernet Franc, and the Merlot.

Ursula set it up after Charles Banks agreed to my invitation. She is still with the portfolio. Nicole and Ashley were present with Andre, Matt’s assistant. I am hoping to get Matt next year. The winery loved my event and believed that it was a perfect showcase in the State for them.
I can’t make HdR Larry I have to make up for my missed Daddy time.
I understand that we have a second Santa Barbara Winery coming next year. Bob Eggellhoff is the new Winemaker at Gainey Vin. and he has joined his wife who owns Tres Sabora at the Festival for a few years. Great folks. Bob apparently was Celia M’s first tutor in the biz.