Friday TN's: St Innocent, BV, Paul Hobbs, Diamond Creek ect.

A few of us got together for steaks, impromptu poker and wine. Thanks to Zach for hosting.

2006 Kim Crawford Spitfire NZ SB:
Nice nose of lemon zest, fresh cut grass and citrus fruit. Palate still has zipping acidity, nice balance and a great creamy aspect. Lots of grapefruit and lemon cream flavors.

2007 St. Innocent Villages Cuvee Pinot:
Nose did not give up much as this seemed rather tight. After a bit nice strawberries, graham and spice notes peaked out. Palate was even tighter not giving much, just a bunch if spice and oak. This either needs a lot of air or a few more years.

2006 St. Innocent Temperance Hill Pinot:
This one blew me away and I really enjoyed it. Gorgeous nose of baking spices, cool cherry notes and toasty oak. Nose continued to give off secondary notes of graham, fresh herbs and earth. Palate was very round, balanced and silky. Touches of sweet fruit, cinnamon and nutmeg were also present.

1997 BV Tapestry Cab:
I love the tapestry wines from the mid 90’s and this is no different. Seductive nose of cocoa powder, tobacco and red fruits. Palate still had a nice tannin structure present which integrated with the fruit and hints of oak. More tobacco, dark chocolate and mocha all rolled in with raspberries. Great wine that goes down easy.

2001 Paul Hobbs Napa Cab:
I thought this would be a bruised as Paul Hobbs wines usually are when young. This might be one of the most approachable 01’s I have had in a while, maybe they are finally starting to soften up a bit. Nose filled with fresh ground coffee beans, milk chocolate, creamy red fruits and vanilla oak. Palate was big but stayed in balance for the most part. Big structure in the back ground but managed to not over dominate. Creamy mouthfeel, good fruit and nice balance.

1984 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill Cab:
This was a real treat. Although 25 years old, this has plenty of life left. Pretty nose of soft red fruits, cellar dust, cool forest floor and hints of eucalyptus. Nose gave of hints of sage and mint which made this interesting. Palate is medium bodied with plenty of stuffing. Tannins seem to be completely resolved with all the fruit and secondary flavors up front. Nice long finish of black cherries, brambly fruit and herbs. Probably wont improve and drinking perfectly right now.

2005 Turley Moore Earthquake Zin:
Classis California Turley zinfandel. Nose was very perfume like with jammy red fruits, mostly candied raspberries. Palate was even jammier with raspberries reduction sauce, cherry syrup and a touch of heat on the palate. It didn’t bother me but blew off over the night with air. Not much going on here, very primary but damn enjoyable for my palate.

What a great night this was. This was thrown together at the last minute as a few of us wine berserkers had nothing better to do. For a “no thought” thrown together offline - the wines were fantastic. For me, there wasn’t a bad bottle there. The most disappointing was probably the St. Innocent Wilamette Valley, but hardly a bad bottle.

Tyler’s note on the Diamond Creek is right on. I’ve been itching to open that bottle for a while for fear that it might be over the hill. This wine was beautiful and might even have a little more time to go, but I personally wouldn’t press it.

I think the Turley go lost a little bit in this line-up. I opened it as a “what the heck” wine while we waited for everyone to arrive. I thought it was very enjoyable, but like Tyler said, very primary - not much going on. I wouldn’t hesitate to open one again though. Simple yet very enjoyable.

For me the wine of the night, and the surprise of the night was the St. Innocent Temperance Hill. WOW!!! I am known round these parts for loving my cabs and syrahs, but this Pinot just blew me away. Maybe it was because I wasn’t expecting much from it (although everyone else loved it too), but this wine was wonderful. I am going to buy a few to taste over the next few years!

Thanks to both Andy and Tyler for supplying wines and being patient with all the “interruptions” - family, potential girlfriends, and cake [dance2.gif]

I’ll race Ticernial to grab the other 01 Hobbs [drinkers.gif] . Have always loved St Innocent pinots.

I really liked the St. Innocent Temperance Hill too. I was very disappointed in the Village Cuvee. I guess I was just expecting more from it.

The Turley just wasn’t my cuppa tea. Well made for the style, but a bit over the top for me.

I think the '84 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill Cab has plenty of life ahead of it. It may not improve much from where it is now, but I don’t see that falling apart anytime soon. It still has some tannin on the back end that could smooth out a little. Thanks for opening it, I think that was my first ever Diamond Creek.

The Paul Hobbs was still just a baby. Long life ahead of that one, although nice to drink now.

Zach - Thanks for giving us poor slobs something to do on a Friday night. Great time.

Andy

I believe I declared the KC Spitfire “the best NZ SB I’ve ever had” at some point. That may have been hyperbole but glad to see it’s still chugging along.

-Kyle

ps how long could “interruptions for potential girlfriends” really be?

Blackberry Messenger…all night long! Every hot woman wants to date that stud in your avatar!

You really should have waited 609 years for this one. Minimum.

Great stuff. Thanks. I have been waffleing as to when to pop the Temperance Hill. Historically not my favorite vineyard but recent vintages have one me over.

I went through a lot of those 90s Tapestrys and always enjoyed them. I have no more but glad to hear this showed so well after 12 years.

Jason

Jason, I am not a Pinot expert by any stretch, but I really enjoyed the Temperance Hill.

Thanks. I think I still have one sitting at home so I’ll probably pop. btw if you liked this you may want to try the Justice or Shea.

Jason

Woops, nice catch. [foilhat.gif]