TN's: Quick Ones On CA Cult Cab Wannabees

2005 Seven Stones: This was served blind to everyone as they arrived. The wine screamed '05 Napa Cab to me. Fruit forward with a nice finish of sweet anise and integrated oak. More finesse than power and I really enjoyed it. When the label was revealed, I was actually a little shocked that this was showing this well so early on.

2006 Corra: Very good right out of the gate. The '06 is more restrained than the '05, but I liked the very pronounced nose of dark cherries and vanilla. Palate was reserved, but not muted. Glad Celia’s personal label is still under the radar.

2006 Scarecrow: Another blinded wine. When I first tasted it, I had no clue on what it was. It had a touch of VA on the nose but I couldn’t detect anything on the palate that would detract from the fruit. It is a massive wine that has a brutish power to it. Good fruit and a medium long finish. I am not sure that I wold seek this wine out for what it is selling for. As the evening progressed, the wine seemed to fall off a bit and get a stewed characteristic that I found very unappealing.

2006 Maybach: Monster…almost black in the glass. Loads of glycerin. Very expressive nose of cassis and graphite. Palate is more refined than the other three here with dark fruits, glycerin, smoke and a hint of anise on th finish. Very happy to have plenty on hand at the house.

If I were to rank them:

Maybach tied with Seven Stones
Corra
Scarecrow

Would you go so far as to call these, NEAR CULT :wink:

Nice notes Bill.

You representin’ the Lonestar state pretty pretty good. [gen_fro.gif]

Possibly.

Great wine needs no moniker.
Calling it ‘great wine’ is enough…
[berserker.gif]