TN: 2007 Carlisle Zinfandel Montafi Ranch

• 2007 Carlisle Zinfandel Montafi Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (9/17/2010)
    From the Russian River Valley’s historic “Montafi Ranch” vineyard, planted in 1926. A great year for winelovers and a great year for children’s fantasy. In October, Milne’s Winnie the Pooh is released!

14.9% alcohol. Deep and rich red and black fruit aromas. On the palate, concentrated blackberry, blueberry, cherries, spice and white pepper. Exceptionally balanced, wonderfully satisfying. Drinking this tonight with Costco “Prime” New York strips.

Here we have Mike Officer working his magic with one of the world’s oldest and most distinctive vineyards. It’s great - what did you expect? (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Yeah, as you might guess, I really like most of the Carlisle offerings.

The '07 Montafi is one of the best Zinfandel’s I have ever tasted. Paradigm shifting stuff.

Mike, nice. You continue your march through Carlisle zin land. Man, if you are able to get down this way in the next 4-6 weeks, drop me a note. We may put together a few cool things that I would think you’d enjoy.

I need to drink a couple of my 2007 Carlisle zins sometime before the end of the year. I still am hanging on to a 2004 SC and a 2004 Dry Creek that I need to enjoy soon.

So glad to see it’s tasting so good. Haven’t tried this yet, but will have to give it a shot.
Thanks.

I tried a bottle of the '07 Montafi last month and really loved it. Called it a 92. A beautiful zin.

The bottle was, if anything even better (more nuanced, deeper) on day two. Really outstanding.

FMIII - I will give you a ring if I’m down there. We’ve done Copain, maybe time for a Carlislefest!

Mike, great note, and a reminder I should maybe dig out one of my bottles. This is what I wrote about my first bottle last year:

Dark berry compote nose, dark, intense zinberry, touch of sweetness in the middle, then a wash of complex dark berry flavors, touch of anise and savory herbs, just the right balance of acidity and some mild tannins to finish. This has some of the character of a great Quinta do Vesuvio vintage port, with it’s dark anise and herb complexities A spectacularly good Zin, one of the best Carlisles I have had. Maybe this gets better with a year or two, or more, but I’m not sure I’ll be waiting around to find out

Alan, I’m glad you weighed in! I agree that even in the rarified atmosphere of Carlisle old vine zins, this one stands out!

M -

This thread prompted me to pop the '07 Dry Creek Zin. Wow did it zing. Another exceedingly high quality Zin from Mike Officer. Big, deep brambly raspberries, dense black fruits and spice. Heady alcohol but not hot, if that makes sense. Very large presence on the palate, expansive, with moderately long textured finish. Awesome pairing with grilled steak flatbread pizza.

Cheers!