TN: 2005 Barrel 27 - Rose (Central Coast, CA)

4/11/2009

NOSE: crisp red fruits; chalky hairspray; florals; a bit green; black dirt.

BODY: deep cherry red color; clear; [forgot to note weight of wine]

TASTE: drying chalky minerality; strawberries and cranberries; rubber tire; a bit hot; 30 sec. finish. This is one of the better roses i’ve had. Very dry, with very little r.s… Handles its high alc. (14.7%) very nicely.

B: 50, 5, 11, 15, 7 = 88 (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

This has to be one of the most unique experiences I have come across with a rosé. I haven’t had this wine, but my wife and I drink a lot of rosé in the summer time and I don’t think I have ever come across one that showed rubber tire flavors and/or a “black dirt” nose. Very interesting and intriguing. In comparison to other rosés that you have had where would you rank it?

top 5% … easily.

it’s important to note that i don’t normally like Rose … maybe there’s something to the fact that this, and another of my favorite roses, are both Syrah roses.

this one is unlike any other i’ve had.

thanks for the note Brian…is the '05 a current release or have you had this around for a while…interesting to see a rose with that much age, as I always though conventional wisdom was “drink 'em young”…glad to see it was still holding up!!

this 2005 is the current release … i have no idea why or how, but it is. I purchased when I visited their tasting room while in Paso a few weeks ago. I don’t know if they made an '06, '07, or '08.

Very intriguing. What does it go for? The more I think about this, I will say that I have found that Bandol rose does tend to give some characteristics similar to what you described, so it’s not all that unusual.

What was the other of your favorite Roses?

Jeremy,

It was cheap, like $13 cheap. [wow.gif]

The other rose i previously referenced is the one made by Summerwood (in Paso), but that one needs to be consumed young.