A few fantastic wines (Rhones, Burgs, Bubblies)

These past few days have seen some delicious wines pass my palate. Can’t quite complain, must admit.

-NV Moutard Brut Champagne
As usual, delicious right from the get-go. A great QPR Champagne ($30).

-1995 Heidsieck Blancs des Millenaires
Very tight at first, this began unfolding and softening up but kept its laser-like precision throughout the evening. Gorgeous funky fruit, with some brioche and a hint of toast. Delicious

-1996 Geantet-Pansiot Charmes Chambertin
Decanted 3 hours before serving, this was absolutely gorgeous. Fabulous sous-bois and mushrooms and some strawberries on the nose, with a bright core of red berries, a velvety mouthfeel that ended with lovely acidity. Stunning, with a long slightly tannic finish. Wow.

-1989 Gonon St Joseph Les Oliviers
Oh, man, awesome. Also decanted 3 hours before serving, this was fantastic. Stones, dark fruit, smoky meats and a large, very smooth structure that ended with a slightly warm finish. Very good.

-1995 Pegau Chateauneuf du Pape
Good but not as good as it should be, this is another data point showing that these Pegau are falling apart. This the 4th or 5th time I’ve had 95 Pegau and it’s cracking at the seams.

-2002 Mugnier Chambolle Musigny
Pulled from the cellar, popped, decanted into a narrow decanter and poured right away. Immediately, this showed bright cherries and floral notes, but the palate was lean and thin. But within minutes, it began putting on weight, adding a sweet cherry, spicy note to the palate and a gorgeous, lacy mouthfeel that showed that weightless weight that good Burgundy can get. The finish seemed to hang around for minutes on end, haunting one with the memory of its beauty. I kept smelling the glass even after finishing the bottle, I couldn’t get enough of it.

-2006 Drouhin Musigny
This had been opened the previous night and sat on a counter all night. Still, it was lovely, showing elegant power and a precise mouthfeel that I’ve been getting in many higher-quality 2006 red Burgs. The finish was long and perfumy.

-1993 Ponsot Clos de la Roche
Popped from a 375, poured into a decanter and served immediately. Ooooh, a brawny, elegant nose full of rocks and dark Pinot fruits, a real powerhouse compared to the Drouhin, with sous-bois elements to show its age. This kept opening up as we sat at lunch, adding weight and becoming spicy but elegant as well. Gorgeous.

Life is good.
Cheers! [gen_fro.gif]

Yeah, they’re starting to come around. Man that Geantet-Pansiot was awesome.

Hold off on 95 Heidsieck Mills would you say?

I learned the same lesson with a 96 Henriot this weekend, best glasses were the end of the bottle once it opened…

Btw, stop wasting time on here and organize duck/burgs part II! [gheyfight.gif]

We opened a bottle of the '89 Gonon (looks like someone else is favored at Chambers) with Mike Hirby and his wife at La Sirene, which is my new favorite BYO.

I didn’t decant, but we had it open for a while and I’m with you on this one. It comes up slowly and draws you deeper as it gains in complexity and depth. I got the same smoky, dark fruit and meatiness that you did. A very relaxed wine that drank well with the Southern French cuisine.

For bubblies, I know favor the Moutard. We’ve been digging on the Chartogne-Taillet NV, although I think we’re out of it now.

Long time no see, mon frère.

Yes m’aam. [blush2.gif]

[give_heart.gif]

Ben, you up for duck and Burgundy the first weekend of May?

Maybe, but many reports still have the wines showing poorly. A couple recent bottles have confirmed this. Still hard and harsh and completely shut down. Had the Bouchard L’Enfant last week and it’s still quite shrill and closed. Also had the Chevillion Roncieres that seemd tight and acidic. I do happen to think Geantet-Pansiot did quite well in '96. I’ve had the Gevry VV and Jeunes Rois and both were excellent. What wines are drinking well now?

Good to hear. I’m a fan of Hudelot Noellat, especially the Clos Vougeot. Never had the RSV. What did you think of the Bizot? I have a few Echezeaux from '98.

I’ll add the Daniel Rion NSG Les Vignes Rondes to Philip’s list.

Here’s my note from June of 08:

Beautiful Burg funk on the nose with that tell-tale strawberry whiff too. A powerful, muscular 96 with deep flavors of dark fruit, mushroom and a fantastic jolt of refreshing acidity that ties all up neatly together. A beauty that has quite a bit of life ahead of itself.

I am finding that many 96s need to be decanted to really open up (Comte Armand Clos des Epeneaux and of course this GP come to mind). THen again, I haven’t been drinking too many lately, focusing mainly on 1998, 2000 and 2001s.

Some of the '98s are really nice right now, albiet still young and even primary. I was luck enough to taste '98 Rousseau Chambertin recently. It did not suck!