TN: 2004 Lucia Susan's Hill Syrah

I popped a 2004 Lucia SH Syrah last night. I was about to post a note saying this wine is borderline undrinkable but I waited. I had one very unpleasant glass within a half hour of pouring, recorked the bottle and left out at room temp overnight.
Before posting today I just tried a tiny sip, (now open about 14 hours). The wine has made one of the most startling transformations I have witnessed in years. Last night it was out of balance, hot, acidic. Today:
The color is a deep red, almost purple color. Surprisingly clear and translucent under direct light. It’s medium weight and smooth on the palate with a little glycerine, almost oily feel. There is big fruit here on both nose and palate. Tons of blackberry and red raspberry. A diverse combo of red and dark fruit which i don’t find often. Plenty of tannin but it is starting to integrate with all this air time. A solid lingering finish. I can’t wait to drink the rest of this tonight!
I will stash my lone remaining bottle for a few years, this thing needs time. If you want to try one, absolutely decant or slow oxygenate for a few hours first.

Thanks for the note. These are outstanding wines. I was amazed how much mine had improved with just a couple years in bottle. I think the 05 should even be better and longer lived.

I like this wine. I need to drink more of it.

I’ve enjoyed the Pisoni/Lucia pinots for years but this was actually my first syrah made by them. I look forward to future vintages but I will always age or at a minimum heavily decant first.

Another reason to avoid the Otto Dobre method of wine consumption…

Rich, this to me is a great wine, and to echo the point of Cris, this was the first vintage for the property that was bottled for release. I think a lot of this wine and while I didn’t have a transforming moment like you, my most recent bottle was consumed about 4 weeks ago, with my TN below. The wine was highly impressive and stands as one of my WOTY so far at this stage:

I’m very impressed with this wine’s continued evolution over time. Tasted tonight over about 2 hours, where we drained the bottle between 2 of us. Starts of with nose of blac pepper, face powder. Lots of black raspberry fruit, too. Over time, picks up some flower, game, graphite and blackberry. A melange of blueberry and blackberry, some tar and meat. Medium to heavy weight with a finish of black pepper, blueberry skin, cherry juice and licorice. And to top off this wine, give it another 12-18 months to hit peak, as this wine is still climbing in expression. Tremendous wine and for this being the first full vintage for the vineyard, just really satisfying and thrilling. (193 views)

Frank speaks truth. Big fan here.

I still remember this wine, which for those who may not know, is the syrah that is planted on the Pisoni Estate. The Susan’s Hill is still made, and I wonder about the novelty of seeing if I can get Jeff Pisoni to stick some of it into Falltacular next month for a way to reminisce. I’m am not sure that after a decade of my palate changing that I would like this wine today. 2004 was a hot harvest, with big wines being more in fashion at that time. A decade has changed my palate, although I still continue to buy Pisoni Estate pinot noir, as I have every year since what I think was 2002.

I had a really good bottle of the '08 about 18 months ago. I have one bottle left which I may save for a few years.

Thanks for the note. Bought a bunch of 05-08s. They were incredible young. At mid life they shut down a little and were pretty good and I was worried these may fade. Still have some as I was not in a rush to open the rest. Will have to try over a few days if they are not great out of the gate. These notes are priceless since I almost relegated a few to the “the kids can drink” wine bin