TN: '04 Dagueneau Silex

• 2004 Didier Dagueneau Pouilly-Fumé Silex - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Pouilly-Fumé (8/22/2010)

Intensely mineral-driven, with subtle notes of grass and white grapefruit. Even with three hours of air, it’s tight and unyielding. The palate feels full, balanced, and precise, as though there will be great pleasure here if this wine ever gives up its secrets. Alas, it did not tonight. Needs time.

Dagueneau is great stuff…I’ll have to get Liotta to open up a bottle for me…since I dont have any :frowning:

Nice… bromance with a sugar daddy! Silex and Pur Sang get more love, but my favorite Dagueneau was a Buisson Renard ('00 or '01 I think) that was the absolute essence of ruby red grapefruit.

What does the Silex run these days?

Too much!

About $30 more than I’d ever admit to my spouse, who didn’t like it much anyway. [oops.gif]

Doh!

I think Hi-Times is selling the 07 for a cool C-note. The best Sauv Blanc that has ever crossed my lips and an outstanding wine. Almost worth that.

I don’t dislike this wine, but I never saw the magic in the Silex…

runs away before board members can smack him

Dagueneau makes/made the best sauv blancs I’ve ever tasted, and I’m glad to have had the experience. However, from an objective standpoint, not remotely worth what they cost.

And they’ve got the best price out there on the '07.

Steve and I are basically in agreement that even a fabulous Sauvignon Blanc isn’t truly worth $100 to us-- not when there are SO many things we’d prefer. However, I’ll give credit where it’s due. The '04 is a baby, still so fresh and pure and with so much promise. Didier Dagueneau was a great winemaker, and I’m very sorry he’s gone.

Is there a wine worth $100 to you?

Absolutely. There are wines worth far more to me as well. The difference is that (to paraphrase Lyle Fass) I’m not looking to be wowed at every meal. Most of the time, I’m just looking for something balanced and refreshing that complements dinner, and I know full well that I don’t have to spend $100 to find that. I’ve bought enough Dagueneau wines now simply to state that they’re well made and I’ve enjoyed them all to an extent, but that for $100, I’d get more drinking pleasure out of a bottle of Jamet, a half bottle of Chave, or two bottles of JJ Prüm Auslese.

I have always loved the Silex - I thought the 2004, 2006 and 2005 were all wonderful examples of what can be done with Sauvignon Blanc, although I must say the 2004 seemed the weakest of the trio.

Having said all that though, I think the wines are rather too expensive now. They were okay before his sad passing away, but the prices I see now can only be justified if someone has never had a Didier Dagueneau before and wants to see what his wines are all about.

Never had the Silex, but have tried 6 bottles of the of the 04 Buisson Renard, 1 of the 04 Pur Sang and 2 of the 04 Blanc Fume . Bought these wines in 06 from the PLCB at well under market (all less than $50 per). At the time, never heard of Dagueneau until I read an article in Decanter entitled the 10 best white wine makers in the world, and he was the only one I didn’t recognize. Did a search on PA web and was shocked to find the above wines on hand at my local PLCB specialty store. Tried the first 2 Buisson Renards shortly after purchase and thought they were the best Sauv. Blancs I ever had with that great Loire minerality and hint of citrus. Drank 4 more over time with the last in 09 and each bottle less enjoyable than the one before with minerality declining and citrus growing. Last bottle, lemon water. Tried 1 of the Pur Sang not too long ago and enjoyed it very much. Tried both of the Blanc Fume and had the opposite reaction to the Buisson. First bottle in 06, all citrus, but 2nd very recently and very enjoyable with great minerality and balance. Dagueneau died in ultra light plane crash in Sept, 08 so 07 was probably his last vintage (maybe 06) although wines continue to be made under his name.

I picked up a 2nd bottle of 2007 Pur Sang recently at Paul Marcus Wines. I really want to try one young and one old. Soon…
According to the folks at Paul Marcus, Daguenau’s son is continuing to make the wines. It will be interesting to see how they are received.