OH NOOOOOO!!! 2004 Rhys Home Vineyard Pinot

We just arrived in Charleston, SC (Isle of Palm actually) for our weekly vacation with my wife’s family. She just turned the 3-0 and we bought a number of bottles for the week to enjoy. The most special, the 2004 Rhys Home Vineyard Pinot, we planned to take to the Peninsula Grille for dinner on Thursday. Well, at some point during the 8 drive, this bottle began to leak. Indeed, it was covered in the back and none of the other bottles suffered a similar fate. Upon arrival, I could detect about 3-4 lines of leakage and a small stain on the back label. Licking the bottle gave the taste of freshly picked raspberries :slight_smile:

I put the bottle in the fridge to cool it. What is the likelihood that this will be drinkable in 5 days? Or is it best just to pop it tonight? Needless to say, we’ve been looking forward to sharing this bottle at her birthday dinner for quite a while now, so you imagine my disappointment. I suppose life could be a lot worse. [head-bang.gif]

I would either drink tonight or tomorrow and not chance further oxidation from this delicious wine. 5 days IMHO is pushing it.

wine in the front seat, wife on the roof, wine in the front seat, wife on the roof . . .
This is especially important during summer.
alan

It’s fine, put it in the fridge between now and then just for a little added protection. You didn’t damage the wine seriously for short term drinking. Enjoy and stop worrying :slight_smile:

I agree with Alan on this. It will be fine in the short term. This has happened to me before and the wine was fine.

thanks everyone for the words of wisdom. i’ll keep it in the fridge and hope for the best. if not, at least there are 5 or 6 sine qua non syrahs from which to choose all the same price. i’m thinking papa may be the best bet.

Kevin,

The wine should be fine for drinking on Thursday. Stop obsessing. [tease.gif] I still have not opened one of these yet since I’m a patient kind of guy so I’ll look forward to reading your impressions. Hope you have a great vacation and happy B’Day to the misses. God, how I wish I could remember 30.

Kevin,
Your title got my attention!
There is plenty of good advice in this thread and overall the wine should still be OK. The warm temperature expanded the liquid in the bottle which caused the leak. The short warmth won’t cause problems by itself, but the leak will ultimately allow more air to enter the bottle (which can cause problems). The wine should be fine for a few days. I would keep it at cellar temp or cooler.
Good luck!

Kevin - Sorry to alarm you, as that was not my motive. I simply wanted to get some advice about what to do fearing that the possible options may have been time dependent. For now the bottle is in the fridge and I plan to drop it off at the restaurant in the next day or two to rest in their cellar until we dine on thursday.

Thanks again to all for the replies. My wife would probably scold me if i jotted notes during dinner, but I’ll try to post a note later.

Having grown up in Charleston, the only part of your post that concerned me was the part about the Peninsula Grille. For a truly special night I’d go to FIG http://www.eatatfig.com/or McGrady. http://www.mccradysrestaurant.com/

Methinks your Rhys will be fine, though.

I thought the Charleston Grill was the bomb. The Charleston Place | An Independent Luxury Hotel

fig is on our list for sure. my in-laws did mcreadys last year and were less than inspired. last year we were so taken back by our experience at the peninsual grille, we ate there twice in a week! flirtysmile

russ - i agree charleston grille is really tasty, but not in the upper echelon of what this city has to offer. ymmv of course.

with a bottle of '04 rhys home, i could eat in the back ally at 7-11 and think there is nothing better.

This used to be the case, but Chef Bill Brodsky is now at 28 Atlantic at the Wequassett Club in Chatham, MA. Wife and I ate there three weeks ago - probably the only place in MA where you’ll find shrimp & grits on the menu.

And I guess I shouldn’t poo-poo the Peninsula Grill. I’ve eaten there three of four times, but the most recent trip would have been five years ago…

I’m going to go out on a limb and say the wine will drink fine.

ya’ll were right.

TN: OH Hell YES!!! 2004 Rhys Home Vineyard Pinot Noir - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;