TN: Shane wine dinner, June 2010

SHANE WINE DINNER, JUNE 2010 - Lavanda Restaurant, Palo Alto

Shane Finley trekked down to Palo Alto for an evening back in June to share his wines with a group of us at Lavanda. It was great to be able to see the development of the three 2006 vintage wines, and then sample two of the 08s. Shane is doing a great job of sourcing excellent fruit, and putting together wines that represent some great examples of California syrah. They are deep, dark, brooding wines for the most part, beautifully made, and each one has something interesting to say. It was instructive to try two pairs of wines from the same vineyard in different vintages, and note the similarities, as well as distinctions between vineyard sources.

2006 Shane Syrahs

• 2006 Shane Syrah The Unknown - USA, California, Sonoma County
    Starting to open nicely, relative to its youth. Very nice forward fruit, though not overripe in any way, good balance, and some interesting complexities starting to unfold. Time will continue benefit this, but it seems to be entering a drinking window. (91 pts.)
  • 2006 Shane Syrah Jemrose Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Bennett Valley
    Deep, dark, blackberry fruit, brooding, medium tannins, needs time, but tons of stuffing here. (92 pts.)
  • 2006 Shane Syrah Valenti Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley
    In contrast to the darker, blacker Unknown and Jemrose of this vintage, Valenti shows a brighter, more red fruit profile, still in its youth with substantial medium tannins, this is beautiful wine with a lot of interest and complexity. (93 pts.)

2008 Shane Syrahs

• 2008 Shane Syrah Jemrose Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Bennett Valley
    Deep, dark, brawny, black fruit, tannic, with a dark bitter chocolate edge, this needs years to develop and unfold, but is a fantastic wine in waiting. One to cellar for 5+ years and more, then enjoy. (93 pts.)
  • 2008 Shane Syrah Judge Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Bennett Valley
    Next to the Jemrose in this vintage, Judge is the more lush, juicy wine, but still well under control. Buy this for the first 5 years, and the Jemrose for the next 5. (92 pts.)

Thanks again to Shane for making the long trip down after a full work day, and for sharing his wonderful wines with us.
Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the notes! Sounds like a great evening with great wines and a spectacular winemaker.

Cheers.

Nice tasting. Thanks for the notes; Shane’s making some fantastic Syrahs right now.

Damn it! I was minding my own business, blissfully unaware of Shane. Then ya’ll had to post, which caused me to go look at his site, see his credentials and the wines he’s making. Then go to Cellar Tracker (shout out to Eric), read the reviews and see the point scores. Then break-down and sign-up for one more mailing list [head-bang.gif] [swearing.gif] (where’s the smilie being led off to debtors’ prison in leg irons?!)

Chad, what reminded me I hadn’t posted notes was the email I got for the latest Shane release (actually the two 08s we tasted at the dinner). If you’re looking for wines that are kind of right down the middle between the bigger, warmer climate wines, and the other end point of truly cool climate wines, these are a great choice. They probably lean more toward the cooler climate side, with plenty of depth, flavor, and body. At the $42 price point, particularly for such small, hand crafted production, I’d say they are a very good value.

Yes, I actually saw Shane also mentioned on the release date thread. I haven’t gotten my registration acknowledgement email yet, but am hopeful to make it in for this release. Do you know if I’m being overly optimistic? Is there a wait list?

Just got my email with ordering info, so I’ve answered my own question!

Wines are nice, but I have a huge problem with his shipping costs… pretty pricey to the east cost.

Well, be thankful you don’t have to pay the 9.25% sales tax here in CA :frowning: I guess Shane has to make the choice to pay someone to take care of the shipping, which does increase the cost a bit. The guy does have a day job, making the Kosta Browne wines :slight_smile: It’s about $2 more per bottle to the east coast than west coast, doesn’t seem outrageous when you put it in those terms.

Alan,

You getting a commission on these sales [cheers.gif] Just kidding, of course.

As I said earlier, Shane’s a great guy making distinctive wines for a fair price - nuf said.

Cheers!

Larry, nope. I buy at the regular price, including sales tax and shipping. I like what Shane has been doing the past three vintages, think the wines are excellent and reasonably priced. Believe me, this thread won’t go even a fraction of what a NextofKyn or SQN release thread would :wink:

Alan, thanks for the notes. In the same theme, I dropped in some notes below from when Shane was down earlier this year to visit. Based on CT, I seem to have tasted both 2008s now at least twice, which helps when it comes to making buying decisions. I do like Shane’s syrahs and I have been buying since the 2006 wines, getting in on the first release. The fruit sources also make sense, as I know how hard Jim and Joe worh their sites, especially Jim since I have worked with him in the lower syrah rows last year to drop fruit. I like Shane’s style, the fruit sources nd the pricing. As to the shipping, I am joining my order with Silk’s so he and I can drive down the shipping cost to the right amount. It must be a PITA to live across the country, deal with the jacked up shipping laws and all that jazz…just real fortunate we can live in CA and still have the freedom to interact with wine in ways that make logical sense.

Anyway, Alan, thanks for the notes. Here are mine:

SHANE FINLEY VISITS THE OC - Fratello’s Laguna Niguel (2/3/2010)

We are getting pretty good about having Shane down and keeping it real @ Fratello’s. 17of us hung out last night and enjoyed what I think Frenchmeister counted as 40 bottles. I didn’t have the 'nad to TN all the bottles and while I took some notes, I tried to focus on the wines Shane brought, since I buy and drink these wines, of which last night a few were new releases I had yet to taste. I am certain that Wet Rock or Mr London have some additional TNs should they see the post. Overall, a good time and I survived to do a full day of work today.

• 2008 Spell Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Tasted upon opening and then later in the meal to create a final TN. Lots of nice spice on the wine (not brown spice) but spice in the aromatics. With 30% whole cluster, this I am sure adds some to the mix. Lots of darker fruit, but more blue to me than black, along with what my notes say was a hint of cranberry. Forest floor with some tart on the edge and even some loam on the finish. Damn solid with a star next to my notes.
  • 2008 Spell Pinot Noir Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    As compared to the Spell SCoast, this shows the AVA in which it came. And to in comparison, have to say I prefer the SC over this RRV. Lots of raspberry, hint of raspberry jam, red apple, a medium frame and seeming less defined and complex than the SC, more singular at this stage.

• 2007 Shane Syrah The Unknown - USA, California, Sonoma County
    We also had with the 2008 Unknown this 2007, which was served direct from bottle. Has a similar nose to the 2008 Jemrose, what my notes say again as bloody/marrow. Seems to have a decent amount of what I thought was wood tannin, like barrel tannin on the tongue, but given the whole cluster in this wine, I may have missed the mark on this point. Smooth palate, olive and my main impression, this wine has softened up a lot since it first was released with the other 2007s. Drinking much smoother now.
  • 2008 Shane Syrah The Unknown - USA, California, Sonoma County
    Of the 2008 Shane, seems the tighest to me and most wrapped up. Primary and youthful, along with tannic. It did soften with some air and of the 2008s, this was the only cuvee I did not pour to the decanter (as we did with the Jemrose and Judge cuvees). Plush and full weighted with olive, chocolate and chalk. Needs time. I did buy 2 in my recent order and I will hold them until at least end of 2010 before I try another one.
  • 2008 Shane Syrah Jemrose Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Bennett Valley
    For me, the standout of the three Shane 2008 syrahs. Was poured to decanter and was served from it throughout the meal. Has that bloody smell, with iron notes, too. Smooth and balanced. With time, it seemed to tighten, which I pointed out to Shane. Not released yet and will need some time but very nice and will stand out.
  • 2008 Shane Syrah Judge Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Bennett Valley
    This is a big ass wine, the biggest of the Shane 2008s. Big flowery nose, with ripe syrah expression, even some heat. The palate shows a big push of dark fruit, spicy, with iron ore and a dark finish. I have about 8 ounces left from last night so intend to revisit and sure I got the wine nailed properly…and retasting the wine tonight, at home in a different setting and with 24 hours of air time, the wine appears different. First, the aromatic seems more floral now, including what is like a crushed mint note, which I included as heat last night. Is there heat aromatically now? Nope. The palate is full of dark blackberry fruit, with some juiciness, bittersweet chocolate and some faint licorice and mineral. While I was not wowed by this wine last night, I can say now that I like it much more as it walks both between flamboyant and pure. Will need another year of bottle age to really soften.

Posted from CellarTracker

Alan and Frank thx for the notes. Think you’re spot on w/the wines. I was really happy to see how the 2006s have evolved (IMO for the better) over the last few years. 2006 was my first vintage so they have special meaning for me…and it was fun to share them w/a cool group.

I think the 2008s are similar to the 2006s. Lots of structure, good fruit v spice accents, and great balance. Both wines are 100% whole cluster and I think they’ll continue to evolve for quite some time. I also held them longer before release than I have done in the past. So, when the get shipped they will have over a year bottle age. Thx for all the support!

Cheers, Shane

Anyone else in Orange County, CA (south) want to share shipping? I’m thinking of 3 or 4 bottles.

Andrew, send a PM to Frank above, he’s also OC (southern OC I think)

Thanks, Alan. Yeah, he’s just down the freeway, but it sounds like he might be already in cahoots with the Silkowskis. I’ll check anyway, but I thought I’d advertise here as well.

My wife and I also enjoyed these wines with Shane last spring during a dinner in OC that Frank hosted (see his posted notes). If I had to pick a favorite, the Jemrose showed a bit better than the Judge, but it might have been due to a long decant, whereas the Judge was PnP (I think). The Judge was big and tannic, but the raw materials were in place. With a decant of a few hours, I have to wonder if it might have matched the Jemrose? It’s a win-win regardless.

Not to drift ever so slightly, but Shane’s Spell wines (other label), particularly the Sonoma Coast pinot, were delicious and particularly terroir driven for CA pinot.