Help on choosing a 01/02 Riesling for my 50th bday

The reality is that this is all probably infanticide but I only turn 50 once. Here’s what I have:
JJ Prum
01 Gracher Himmelreich Spatlese x2
01 Gracher Himmelreich Auslese x2
01 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese

Christoffel
02 Urz Wurz Auslese ** x3
02 Edener Treppech Auslese **

There are some other lesser choices but I want to drink one of these dammit!

Advice? Thanks!

[cheers.gif]

Chris,

The 01 Prums aren’t showing well at the moment. In fact the 01 WS Auslese hasn’t shown very well since release+1 year. I’d go with the one of the Christoffel’s, which always seem to drink well.

Paul

I’d go for an '02 Urz Wurz and let the Prüms sit another decade. If you must open a Prüm, go for the Spatlese and wait for the sulfur to blow off before you go near it.

Chris,

Wish I could help on the '02, but I can tell you that I recently had the '01 Christoffel Edener Treppech Auslese ** and it was outstanding!!!

Thanks everyone!

D. Bueker and John Glas over on Squires recommended the 01 HS Spatlese so it looks like I have decision to make. It was a little much to expect a bunch of winos to all agree on such a question! :wink:

I appreciate all the input and I’ll let you know what I try and how it was.

Chris

You only turn 50 once…1959 Bordeaux… [gen_fro.gif]

I’ll send you my address but you’ll have to get it here by Wednesday. [drinkers.gif]

Chris, I thought about the Spatlese too, but went with the '02 for a couple of reasons. First, my '01 Prüms all seem to want more time-- even the Kabinetts. The '02s I’ve had seem to be maturing a little faster. Second, you have three bottles of the Urz Wurz, so it’s a nice data point for future tastings.