Wineberserkers Virtual Tasting Series: Cal-Rhone til Sun Aug 22nd!!!

…where Syrah is NOT the dominant grape, but some smaller percentage of the blend.

So there you go, 2 bits of criteria to work with.

I have a few PAX I have been eyeing in my cellar, and I might actually need to source!

Let’s do this the long week format of friday, August 13th to Sunday, August 22nd.

Let’s see if we can get this anywhere close to the 3.5 pages of Syrah notes from a few months back.

Thanks in advance!

This will be a fun week! [cheers.gif]

yep. I think I even seen your Gala smile.
:slight_smile:

This pretty much describes all of the Cal-Rhones I drink. Yum.

Uh-oh. On vacation that week, so this might be turn into a bender. [drinkers.gif]
Also might get my lazy posting butt back on the tasting note bandwagon. [training.gif]
Regardless, it will be a tasty week.
[berserker.gif]

It’s a sine for sure!

This is a virtual close to my heart flirtysmile but I’m surprised to find not as many of these in my cellar as I’d think. Beckmen Cuvée le Bec, Pax Moriah, Pax Dry Stack Grenache, Saxum JBV, Novy Grenache, Cline Mourvedre, McPrice Meyers Altas Vinas. Some Copain Viognier, that count?

I’m camping in Oregon for the next week and a half, so I’ll bring some along and post results when I get back…

King P, where we putting the notes on this gig? One thread or multiple?

I can knock down a Carlisle 2 Acres or a Saxum for this–I’m in.

Hmmmm…this might help me pick something for my trip next week towards the Napa BerserkerFest.

Frank, please post notes right in line here. Thanks!

I’m eyeing a 2007 Audelssa Zephyr (GSM), 2007 Wind Gap James Berry (GMS) and/or a 2003 Bonny Doon Le Cigare Volant (MSG, but not the bad Chinese food kind). Let’s do it.

Had a glass of Beckmen’s 2008 Cuvee Le Bec off a restaurant wine list yesterday. Crappy little glass it was poured in, but it’s about right, a nice table wine. Lots of smokey blueberry flavors which made me think Syrah, but it was actually 51% Grenache followed by Syrah, Mourvedre and Counoise. Dark and bold.

Checked it out on the Beckmen website: 15.1% ABV, 3.7 pH (no surprise on either of those), native yeast ferment, 15% new oak (not typical for a CA Rhone).

I’ll pop some Core wines, the 2007 Topless Panoplie, 2004 Carlisle Two Acres, and a few other ones to be decided.

Someone’s going to be drinking well this week. Come to think of it, it’s a nice day outside - I’ll go for a walk; Peter, where exactly in CC do you live?!? [wink.gif]

Nobody’s mentioned Tablas Creek. Had a '99 last night that was in a great spot.

Jumping the gun a little, but i’m away next week…

• 2003 Carlisle Two Acres - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (8/9/2010)
    Decanted about 20 min. While quite purple and dark, this was actually quite medium bodied. Sort of on the raspberry side of blackberry - gee black raspberry I guess. I had not had this in over 2 years, this now seems fully mature to me, no particular tannins, even starting to fade a bit. Still some nice spice though. Interesting change of pace. 75% Mourvedre, with the rest mainly PS, with some Alicante Bouchet and 5% ‘Valdepenas’. On the Carlisle website this is referred to as Carignane while others seem to think it is Tempranillo.

Posted from CellarTracker

I love the impetuousness of this group of wine lovers. Even with a start date of the 13th, we already have notes staring to gather starting on the 8th.
It says much. Thanks! [cheers.gif]

Should you find me, I might even make sure to add the 2007 l’Aventure Cote a Cote. That said they still have to be unearthed from off-site so don’t walk too fast. [cheers.gif]

I’m in. 2007 Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastel.

Looks like a 2006 Denner “The ditch digger”

Haven’t had it since release and am looking forward to it.