TN: 2005 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Southing

• 2005 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Southing - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills - Sta. Rita Hills (4/3/2009)
    Dinner at French 75. Rich and seductive aromas of cinnamon stick, black cherries, black raspberries, cocoa powder and red clay. Lush on the palate, full in the mouth, and very complete with notes cherry, sassafras, and cola. Some warmth on the finish. An outstanding wine nonetheless. (92 pts.)

Agreed, Paul - this wine has hit its stride. I’ve had 4 bottles prior to the one I had in January, and all were very disappointing. In January, it finally seemed to awake from its slumber…

OK - guess it is time to break mine out.

When shall I be there? [drinkers.gif]

I have had pretty good luck with this wine since release, but I think it is just now starting to enter its optimum drinking window.

Wow. The '05s I’ve had lately (Ten and Southing) were just forgettable (I know…the Ten was just way too young to be drinking it now) and I was struggling with trying to understand the hype for this wine. The '06 Southing I had the other week though…well that was a different story and was excellent!

I just brought home my 01s to take a look at. I stopped buying these after 05 but if someone wants to open some later stuff … I can bring the 01s.

Jason

I’m game.

Me too - '05 and '06 here