TNs: Super Long List Of '05 Bordeaux

Over the last few weeks I have been in the process of drinking a number of different 2005 Bordeaux, specifically wines that I purchased or sourced in single bottle (or slightly more) quantities. I made these purchases over the course of time with the idea that, once I tried them, and given the current market conditions, if I liked any of them I might be willing to purchase some of them in larger quantities. Since I have already made a substantial investment in the vintage whatever everything I tasted I probably reviewed with a slightly more critical eye than normal. Hope this helps.

Whites:
Malartic-Lagraviere Blanc 2005:
Smells of green apples, citrus and creme brulee. Waxy and floral, with copious quantities of crushed rocks and minerals, along with nectarines, white peach and fig nectar. Nothing overly exotic- just an excellent example of vintage and substance. 91 points

Smith-Haut-Lafitte Blanc 2005:
Oily and viscous, some beeswax and marmalade. Loads of grapefruit and lime zest all touched up with dollops of honeyed toast, lemon oil and peach blossom. Tastes like you have something to chew on but a nice core of acidity guides you through the bite. 93 points

Monbousquet Blanc 2005:
Tastes a bit like the canned peaches and pineapples I used to have when I was a kid (sweet, but not too sweet). Some exotic stone fruits hover around for fun. Oak certainly plays its part- think smokey vanilla. Overall it is nice but not super complex. Reminds a bit of drinking a pineapple upside down cake! 90 points

Carbonnieux Blanc 2005:
Grassy/yellow in color. Some candle wax, freshly cut grass notes appear, along with ripe peaches, crushed white stones, torn mint leaves, lemon oil and spice. Good to very good, especially for the price. 92 points

Reds:
Lusseau 2005:
Espresso roast, vanilla cream, black cherry liqueur, milk chocolate and toasted oak all form a densely packed, smoothly textured wine. This is really very nice for the price and will appeal to those who like the Pavie style. 89+ points

Domaine Saint-Pierre 2005:
An under the radar St. Julien. Plump red fruits- currants, raspberries, cherries- are given equal time along with flavors of sappy pine combs, damp earth, smoked meats, tobacco and licorice. If you have had Beychevelle in 2005 than you have something to compare this to . . . and this blows Beychevelle away. 94 points

La Tour de Mons 2005:
Simple, delicate and on the verge of monolithic. Bright, tart cherries, Christmas cake, violets and some light spices. Very inexpensive so keep that in mind. 85 points

D’Issan 2005:
I got some crap for dissing this estate when I rated (poorly) their '00. Many of you were (as you are apt to do when someone doesn’t like a wine you do) questioning my bottle’s provenance, etc. Okay, its clear that I am not a fan of this estate. I went out of my way to purchase this bottle in a different state and to try another classic vintage and I still don’t get it. Smokey and slightly herbaceous on the nose, but with a good, almost regal color. Black cherries, plums, Spring flowers, licorice, blackberry compote and a touch of mint reveal themselves early. And then . . . I start to get that cranberry tartness and . . . yeah, here it comes . . . strawberry yogurt again. I just don’t like the style. Its not for me. So there is more for the rest of you. Buy them while they are available for cheap! 87 points

Beau-Sejour-Becot 2005:
Black plums, kirsch, electric cherries, some varnish, mostly fruit juice however. Left the wine alone for a number of hours and came back to it. Some black truffle and coffee grounds can be spotted way off in the distance but now so can something else alarming- orange juice concentrate. I leave the wine for the next day and all I find is fruit juice- like the sugared kind we serve to kids- and that weird orange juice note from the day before. I don’t like it. 82 points

Leoville-Poyferre 2005:
This is an exceptional wine. Purity of fruit, balance, power, etc. Blue and black fruits are paired with mounds of shaved pencil lead/graphite, coffee grounds, tobacco leaf and pulverized rocks. Really, really good. 95 points

Clos les Lunelles 2005:
Layered and balanced, dark in color and perfumed on the nose. Loaded with black fruits, sweet, polished cherries, dark chocolate, toasted oak, roasted game meats and earth. What a find! 94 points