TN: 2004 Carina Clairvoyant

• 2004 Carina Cellars Clairvoyant - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (4/6/2009)
    45% Syrah, 33% Mourvedre, 22% Grenache, 14.3% abv. Purplish-garnet from core to rim. Throwing a bit of sediment. Toasty oak dominates the nose, and is joined by roasted meat, milk chocolate, ocean air, and blueberry compote. Full bodied and palate-coating, with a long (but hot) finish. Not a style I usually enjoy, but that didn’t stop me from drinking three glasses with tonight’s grilled tri-tip.

It is nice to have something completely different once in a while.

They just opened a tasting room in Paso. I’m not sure if I want to go there or not, now. [wow.gif]

You definitely have to like oak and grandiosity, but I can imagine that this wine would be a very enjoyable Syrah (especially for $30) to someone who does!

Just an FYI - Carina wines are made by Joey Tensley; they were making them in the same facility as Joey but are either in the process or have finished their own facility up there. They still have their joint tasting room with Tensley down here in Los Olivos.

I poured next to them at a recent event and found their wines quite enjoyable, especially their viognier . . .

Cheers!