TN: 2005 Nicolas Potel Clos St. Denis (France, Burgundy, Côt

• 2005 Nicolas Potel Clos St. Denis - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos St. Denis Grand Cru (7/24/2010)
    What an amazing wine. I was instantly compelled by the ‘Morey’ cherry red tar and the red to purple fruit. A very complex and cheery(not cherry) nose of demi glas and sauteed cherries drifting and wafting from mostly red to slightly purple. Amazing depth here with a little complexity and hinting at more when the wine will be older. Awesome! I got to drink 3/4 of the bottle over a three hour period, I audouzed half and the wine guy-my buddy- talked me into decanting the other half. I thought the in-bottle wine did slightly better. Oh well, no need to hurry on these, but the restaurant price tonight was what I paid for a bottle at retail so I couldn’t resist. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

nice to hear–love that vineyard.
alan

I know only 1er Crus 2005 by Potel, but they were very high class - a very aristocratic and concentrated style IMHO … and your TN sounds really good.

In addition I´d like to state:
what a “comprehensive and deep knowledge” here on this board, really remarkable … 114 views and only one reply to a TN of real interest … a shame …
(thanks Alan nevertheless …)

Sounds really terrific Charlie.
Thanks for the look.

Sounds great! Love Potels '02s, I dont have much experience with '05s. What did it run you? Are these still somewhat affordable?

wow - nice. i have a few, but didn’t even dream of opening yet - but thanks for the update. to me, the entire range of the higher-end 2005s from potel are astounding wines and amazing qpr (bonnes mares was like $100 or something on release).

Yaacov, the Volnay VV and the Beaune Teurons are also smoking good 2005s as well, and pretty well priced I might add.

Charlie

114 views thats interesting. I appreciate you considering my note of interest:) I agree with you on Potel 2005 and I hope you get to drink some Grand Cru soon.

turns out I have 2 b of this CSD–and a smattering of some of the other grand crus from Potel. Won’t touch them for another decade or more, though.
alan

I thought the 99 1er Cru Volnay I had this past weekend was an early look @ a Nicolas Potel; the 05 GC was a go already huh? All I keep reading is how backwards and structured the vintage is.

His 2005 Volnay vieilles vignes, which I drank a couple of weeks ago, while not undrinkable had closed up considerably from 2008 or so.

I would not have pulled this out of my cellar for years. I was just so happy with the restaurant price and had plenty of time on my hands, and was thusly rewarded. I would/will do it again soon if I have the opportunity. I do believe that 2005 Potels have been pretty approachable, at least as a comparison to others of the vintage, but I am sitting(mostly) on mine too.

Premier Cru, which actually had that wine in stock, was giving it away in various formats–it is closed up, I agree.
alan

Ditto on his 2002s, 2005s and even 2006 Volnay, although the 2003s, while atypical, proved openknit and well structured in several of his village level (in the CDN) offerings, not to mention his Clos de Vignes Franche (Beaune) monopole (a consistently good find for the last 4 vintages).