TN: '71 Inglenook Cabernet Sauvignon Cask 38

My birthyear wine, served with Costco prime ribeye steaks, which were fantastic, but still pale in comparison with the Flannery rib cap from last night.

• 1971 Inglenook Cabernet Sauvignon Limited Cask Cask 38 - USA, California, Napa Valley (4/5/2009)
    Fantastic wine. I would say this wine is not at its peak, but only slightly on the downside of its lifespan - still vibrant, and gorgeous. Color is slightly orange, with a very light rim. Possibly the silkiest wine I’ve ever had, with big, round, ripe tannins that seem to be literally filled with wine themselves. The fruit is ripe, but not overripe, stewed, or raisiny, except for just a bit as the finish starts. Anise, raw steak, red fruits, and violets on the nose - beautiful, and well balanced. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

This wine was not as big or vibrant as the '81 Caymus Special Selection from last night, but I fully suspect that not only is it more aged, obviously, but it never was as big or vibrant of a wine, tending more toward subtlety and grace. With that, it certainly delivered. Beautiful.

Wow, great note Todd. I’m really surprised that a 1971 showed so well, not exactly a great year in Napa.

You are on a roll. Cheers,

Great note.
Being born in '61, I can honestly say there is no good wines produced in 1961. [foilhat.gif]

I will need to open an 8 year old Cali Cab for my birthday this Friday. I only hope I can achieve 94 points.

I may be going out on a limb here but you might want to try a 61 BDX. [wow.gif]

Short limb… [foilhat.gif]
I knew that, and I have owned, drank and more importantly sold all my 1961 Bordeaux. [berserker.gif]

Just riding the pony.

I have a large BB coming up in September. Anyone have any 49’s to share with an old Cab drinker? [cheers.gif]

Todd, while always a very nice wine, the 71 Inglenook was never a large scaled wine. Look for a 68.

Thanks, Jack - it helps to have a baller who has had tons of great wine to backup what was just my theory/uneducated guess. [dance.gif]

I knew it wasn’t a great year, but was going off the hope that during any off year, the wines that show best are those from the recognized wineries, and back then, Napa was Inglenook, Stag’s Leap, Mondavi, and Montelena, essentially. They had the best grapes and makers because they had the most money, so I figured it was a safe bet. In addition, it was way the hell cheaper than a '71 DRC!!!

Nice one. Thanks for the note.

Jason

Very nice… I’ve been looking for some of these older Inglenooks… if you have a dealer, Frenchie, let me know…

What does my dealer have to do with wine?

I know a local guy here in Dallas that has some older CA cabs. I’ll get you his contact information if you would like.

That would be great… PM me if you prefer… thanx…

Jim

On its way.

Is this a birth year wine for you Todd?

Yes, and I had some '81 Caymus SS the night before - YOUR birthyear wine!

Look for a 1971 Mayacamas Cab ! A bottle drank a year or so ago was still in great shape.

I think Montelena’s first wine was in 1972 and first Cab was 1973 … and, at least according to the movie Bottle Shock, the Barretts didn’t have much money in those days.

I had honestly never heard of Montelena back in the 70’s until I read about their Chard winning the French drink off. For Cabs it was Inglenook, Phelps, Christian Brothers, Stags Leap. Caymus SS Mayacamus and Diamond Creek back then.

Yeah, right dude. [gen_fro.gif]