A Foursome of Chateauneuf du Pape

After a morning round of golf last month with a couple of fellow wine lovers, the three of us grabbed some lunch and sat down with a small sampling of Chateauneuf du Pape bottles.

1998 Château de la Gardine Châteauneuf-du-Pape. The bouquet of this wine is warm and gentle—with fairly complex aromas of brandied cherries, cranberries, mulled cider, spice cake, rawhide leather, pencil lead and a nice pretty streak of lilac. It is neither invigorating nor lively, but instead rather relaxed and mature. In the mouth, it is medium-bodied and sports a lot of tingly spices, small but slightly grainy tannins and some dry acidity around the edges. It is earthy and dry, and a bit thin on the red currant and sour cherry fruit at this point—showing more topsoil and other earthy notes. I enjoy some of its aged complexities, but it seems like it is time to drink up.

2000 Château Fortia Châteauneuf-du-Pape. In comparison, there is a lot of aromatic life to this wine, with abundant and appealing scents of lifted maraschino cherries and kirsch tinged by various minor earth tones. In the mouth, it has a creamy, somewhat open-knit texture to it and sports a notable coating of glycerin. It is black and blue-fruited, medium-weighted and shows plenty of tanginess through the middle. The finish, though, is a bit austere and also gets a bit chewy after a while. It may not be particularly deep or long, but it is a whole lot better than some of the professional reviews that came out upon its release would lead one to believe.

2003 Château Fortia Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée du Baron. There are deep and wide open notes of plums, dates, blueberries, incense, cedar wood and saddle leather on the very appealing nose of this wine. The balsa and cedar aromas and fresh blue fruit tones grow stronger the longer one stays with it, and the wine never shows any signs of heat or over-ripeness that some associate with the vintage. On the palate, it is very well-fruited, but not overly so, displaying some good structure and interesting angularity at times. The acidity is a bit languid and easy-going, allowing the dark red fruit to drape over tongue through the middle before some charred wood notes and drier tannins come in at the end. Overall, it is quite tasty and is drinking well right now (as it has been for a while, in my experience).

2004 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée. Well, this just raises the roof. It features a fantastic bouquet of blackberries, plums, spices, mince pie, cedar and fireplace ash that is so nice to smell right now, but also seems to be holding back even more in reserve. In the mouth, it is silky-textured but utterly powerful. It shows off impressive concentration of flavor, beautiful dark fruit, very good length and fine lifted acidity. It has a big-boned structure to be sure, but also comes across as sexy and lithe despite the thick, chocolaty tannins on the end. On the whole, this is just a delicious wine that I’d have a lot of trouble keeping my hands off of if I owned any, even knowing that it is destined to just get better and better down the road.

-Michael

You can´t have enough Pégaü !!!
(C)Gerhard

I love the 04 Pegau, total Provencale party every time you open a bottle.

I’ve had all four and enjoyed only one of them. I’m not even going to make you guess which one.

I am quite familiar and really like the last two. Great description Eric !

Exacting and enjoyable notes as always.

Thanks, Michael.

I’m really sure you MUST have loved the 2003 Fortia Baron… hahahaha!

I’ve not been impressed with the de la Gardine line, even the 1998’s which I thought were a shadow of the others listed in terms of presence and dynamic, imho.

Yeah, Stephen, this was my first taste of la Gardine from any vintage. I;ve cellared this bottle since release and had read some notes back around the Holidays that it was mature and mellow but in no rush to be drunk. My bottle was certainly mature and mellow, but I would say it definitely needs to be drunk. And no question it was the weak link on the table.

Pegau was just awesome–can’t see many people being able to avoid falling under its spell.

I’ve had the 03 Fortia Baron a bunch of times now over the past couple of years and all have been very enjoyable. Happy to have one left. Not sure how long I’ll sit on it, though.

-Michael

I really like the '98 Gardine but I agree, time to drink up. I have found quite a bit of bottle variation with it, more than other CDP’s the same age. But for that matter, I struggle to open 4 bottles of any southern Rhone’s together and not find one corked or flawed. Anyone with a similar experience and theory why?

We had a bottle of the '98 Chateau de la Gardine tonight, and it was by far my favorite of 7 or 8 drunk over the last 5 or 6 years. Popped and poured, the aromatics were deep and complex, and on the palate the fruit was spicy and juicy with a plush mouthfeel. This bottle could have easily gone another 5 or more years, but why wait? Very impressive.

The 04 Pegau has gotten such props on this board I’m surprised you can still find it.