What wine to pair with Gazpacho?

Would an off-dry riesling work – I’m thinking it might, but have never tried the pairing. Other ideas?

Dry, lightly colored rosé (Tempranillo, Nebbiolo, Tavel) or maybe a fizzy red.

Vinho Verde.

Gurrutxaga Txocali Rose is the most perfect and wonderful pairing I have encountered. Like what Roberto was describing above… red, fizzy. Great acidity (works well with tomatoes), fresh and crisp with all sorts of herb and fruit nuances.
Imported by Demaison Selections.

Barbera

I do like a Kabinett or Spat with it.

Cheers,
-Robert

No wine goes well with that much vinegar. Gazpacho is a cool drink in itself. Save wine for the next course.

Off dry German Riesling or high acid Champagne…

Victor would know… But there are different styles and recipes. So what version of gazpacho?

I will contradict Victor, though. You can drink a light Sherry with gazpacho. Fino.

I also like the idea of the Txakoli Rosato. IF you can find it.

A nice Sancerre. Complex acid X complex acid = delicious.

Even better: watermelon gazpacho.

Oh, you can drink a fino or manzanilla. But is the pairing particularly harmonious? No. It’s acceptable.

We’re talking Andalusian gazpacho here, I guess - not ajoblanco, not salmorejo, not Portugal’s gaspacho alentejano. Well, I like Penelope Casas’ classic recipe (without cucumbers, which is fine by me) well enough:

2 1/2 pounds very ripe tomatoes, cored and quartered, divided

2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped

1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced, plus more for garnish

1 (2-inch-thick) slice firm French-style bread, crust removed

2 tablespoons sherry vinegar

2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)

1 teaspoon granulated sugar

1/2 cup mild extra-virgin olive oil

Place half the tomatoes, the garlic, pepper, bread, vinegar, salt, cumin (if using) and sugar in a food processor. Process until no large pieces remain. With motor running, add the remaining tomatoes. Gradually add the oil, and process until smooth.

Pass through a food mill or strainer, pressing with the back of a ladle to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids.

Chill for several hours or overnight. Taste and add more vinegar or salt if needed.

Serve with chopped red pepper (plus chopped tomato and cucumber if desired).

beer.

[winner.gif]

Thanks, folks. I was restricted to what I had in my cellar, and I really wanted to force wine on the issue, so beer was not an option. Ended-up going with a 2006 Wiemer - Riesling (Dry) - (New York, Finger Lakes). I thought it was an okay pairing – neither the wine or food made the other better, but neither made the other any worse, either. Luckily, the wine seemed more halbtrocken than trocken, which I think helped a bit. Next time Gazpacho is on the horizon I’ll revisit this thread and follow-up on some of these suggestions. [cheers.gif]

I just skip the wine and beer and dump some vodka into the mix ---- sort of a bloody mary [thumbs-up.gif]

Joanna Simon’s book (“Wine with Food”) suggests fino or manzanilla sherry or young Sauvignon Blanc for tomato gazpacho. FOr white gazpacho, she suggests unoaked white rioja, Soave or Aligoté

I would go for Fino or Manzanilla. Nothing too acidic as a good Gazpacho has loads of vinegar. My choice would be to drink fizzy water with the Gazpacho and save the wine for the next course.

{bump}

Just made a fresh batch last night for eating tonight. Planning on a Manzanilla Fino or a Champagne, but open to any other suggestions. The recipe I used is extremely similar to the one Victor posted in post #11, but mine has cucumbers and does not have cumin, olive oil, or sugar. The recipe does call for garnishing with a drizzle of olive oil, fwiw.

bumping in case anyone has new suggestions. Thank you!

Brian you poor guy! You’ve had to eat gazpacho twice now in only ten years! For me it’s a once in a lifetime thing.

If I lived near you I’d bring you some real food as a favor to an internet friend!

Gazpacho? [bleh.gif] [cry.gif]

But you can cook all that stuff, keeping the vinegar and the bread out and throwing in some shallots and garlic, then put it through a strainer and simmer some fish in it. Toast the bread and have it with an actual soup!

[cheers.gif]

What Roberto said long ago. Roberto I hope you are OK