2006 Cabot Vineyards Syrah - Humboldt County

• 2006 Cabot Vineyards Syrah - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (4/1/2009)
    Even though there is still a good dose of alcohol on the nose, bacon really comes through, so it trumps all. A nice dark floral aspect as well as some rocky terroir also comes through on the nose - remove that alcohol, and it’s a killer. The deep color hints at what the palate delivers - a nice earthy and rocky terroir, dark berries, smoked meat, and it even seems to have a bit of granulation to it, but not actual sediment, more like finely crushed chalk. On the finish, more dark berries, a smoky meat flavor, and, best of all, here comes the bacon again! The finish is actually quite long, and gets better at the very end, but the bacon and the chalky, rocky aspect holds through to the end.

Posted from CellarTracker

(No, Cris, this isn’t the ‘single barrel’ one, either, the liquid bacon juice)

I know, it has a separate listing in CT. :wink: Thanks for the note.

We added back the stems to about 20% of the ferments that went into our Humboldt Syrah. I like the floral aromatics that it brings. The heat should subside with a little bottle age. We bottled these wines in June last year, and they are still going through first year awkwardness. Save a little for tommorrow and it will be quite different/smoothed out. Due to the quality of the fruit overall in 06’, the little boy Humboldt got a lot of pretty nice juice into it.

I always tossed the stems unless I was getting low back in the day.

[highfive.gif]

I saved a glass, having it now, and it has turned even more terroir-driven, and, you guessed it, more bacon! I’m getting a nice dusty cinnamon going on in the flavor profile, both in taste and that fine-powdered texture I pointed out before. It has smoothed out, though, and gained some weight.

Normally these bigger syrahs are not my style, but I’m into this one, to be sure.

John (‘Abs’) and Kimberly (‘Boing-on’) - you guys have done a great job, IMHO. I’ll have to contact you about a special Admin discount [beg.gif]

Hehe

I read in the CNN article on-line that you and Heidi are nearly billionaires.

[gheyfight.gif]

The article stated a word other than ‘billionaires’, and it wasn’t with a ‘t’ either…

Besides, that was pre-recession!

I keed, I keed.

Please don’t ban me. [beg.gif]

Glad you enjoyed it, Todd.
I know $20 is pretty steep :wink: , but we make a special price jus fa you. [drinks.gif]

$19.95…for the king!

It’s good to be the King!! [big_boss.gif]