TNs: Monte Bello 97, Charvin CDP 03 + Bollinger Rose 99

Ridge Monte Bello 1997:
Overall I think this is an underrated Monte Bello. It did get some “props” early on, but certainly not as much as its peers in Napa and Sonoma in '97. Recently, when JL of WS (other site you know) did a retrospective on 1997 Cabernet-based wines the Monte Bello did not show well. In fact, JL suggested that it might be drying out. Ha! Not my bottle buddy. This one was full of life thank you. Black currants, dark cherries, cedar, smoke, dried flowers, minerals, dirt and shaved chocolate notes were are scrambled together nicely. This is still a feminine wine, a finesse wine really, but a wine that will be around for a few more years for sure. 92 points

Domaine Charvin Chateauneuf du Pape 2003:
Everything is here . . . plus I got to share this with Bowden, Dirty and Todd French. Loads of dark fruits- plums, blackberries, super-ripe cherries- perfectly mashed with roasted meats, burnt embers, wild spices, grilled herbs and some toasted oak. Hugely concentrated but not over-the-top. A classic example of what 2003 can pull off! 95 points

Bollinger Grande Annee Rose 1999:
So really it is more of the same as this note below but just not as good. Perhaps a notch or two down in score.
http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard…=bollinger+rose" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
90 points

Laube will dislike virtually any red wine described as feminine by a experienced observer. this also means i’ll likely adore the wine.

You beat me to it. If its not extracted, ripe and at peak within 5 years of bottling then it’s dried out to Laube. [dash1.gif]

I would have inserted another reviewer in there, after that description, but that’s just me…

And that Charvin CDP was awesome. It was SO tight at first, but by the end of the night, it was absolutely soaring. I would never have guessed it was from a hot vintage later in the evening. Thanks for sharing!!!

John,

I picked up a '97 Monte Bello last summer. I’ve never tried a Monte Bello of any vintage. I’ve read about the “ageability” of the wine. Do you think it’s presently at its peak or is still on the upswing ?

thanks,
Jan

Laube has lost all credibility with the Montelena TCA bullshit. I do thank him for making Monty more available and affordable though [highfive.gif] . I got into with someone on another board who claimed his 02 Monty was tainted because it was tasteless. I asked him if it could possibly be the fact that young Monty is famous for being uninspiring when young. He said with conviction that it was tainted with TCA and he ended up returning a case of 02 Monty futures based on a few bottles he tried. The issue with Monty was the cellar has some issues, not the corks.

Its pretty tasty right now. But I think it will drink well for a while. I don’t know how much better it will get but I think if you hang on to it for 3 or 4 years the wine will not decline.