Burgs and others with Mike During

A late long lunch in New Zealand with Mike During, Cathy and some other wine enthusiasts. A great afternoon and lots and lots of wonderful wines. Thanks Mike!
[welldone.gif]
1999 Pol Roger Blanc de Blanc: fresh bright with lemony and citrus fruit. Tastes young without much 2ndry development, delicious.
1996 Duval Leroy Femme: Intense, concentrated and powerful, fine bready notes with lots of citrus fruits. Wonderful stuff, still young

2001 H Boillot Puligny Montrachet Clos de Mouche; mature full yellow colour, soft and rich palate with a hint of oxidization. Mature white burg drinking well
2002 Sip Kirshberg Riesling GC: sl; petrol hint on nose, lean and very dry on the palate. Lacks mid palate richness with acidity overpowering the finish, a food wine.
2007 Boxler Brand Riesling GC: Much more lively that the Sip. Much more fruit on the palate with some residual sugar but still has plenty of acidity. Lots of development potential but very delicious today

2003 H Gouges BSG Clos de Poiret: small pour from a previously opened bottle. Very tasty wine not showing any hot vintage character, perhaps a minor hint of leather. Showing well.
2002 d’Arlot Romane St Vivant: medium red, fine nose, delicious balanced medium bodied and elegant wine. Not made in a block buster style, very good
2002 Hudelot Noellat Romane St Vivant; mature looking colour with some bricking. Lovely ripe inviting nose leading to mature palate, balanced, delicate and not over extracted. I loved this one the best
2002 Perrot Minot Chambertin: darker red colour, Nice ripe nose with restrained oak notes. Full bodied and more extracted that the RSV’s. Needs more time but has wonderful fruit and good structure
2002 H Boillot Clos Vougeot: Negociant bottling. Lovely dark red Ripe intense nose with some spice notes. Full bodied with great long intense fruit and good balance. May have best long term potential of all the red burgs

1997 Sandrone Cannubi Boschis: Lovely nose leading to lovely ripe fruity palate with integrated tannins. Sophisticated style of Barolo. Drinking very well today, probably close to its peak.
1999 Sandrone Cannubi Boschis: Very similar to the 1997. Very polished sophisticated style of Barolo. Fruit & structure is better than 1997 and needs more time to mature
1998 Prunotto Bussia: old style Barolo with tar notes, quite tannic but entering into early phase of drinkability. Good fruit but not as much as the Sandrones, which were from stronger vintages. Not at all embarrassed against the more illustrious Sandrones.

1990 Raymond Lafon: bright orange, fully mature sauterne with evolved marmalade notes, enough acidity to hold it together at the finish. Very good
2000 Trimach Gewurtztraminer SGN: mid orange, lovely floral nose leading to floral spicy palate, great length with excellent acidity. I really liked this a lot.
1983 Ch Chalon Vin Jeane: old sox oxidative nose reminiscent of old sherry. Lean palate with very long finish, acidity to burn. Match for the cheese but hard to enjoy on its own

Brodie

What a fantastic first post, Brodie!

Thank you!

I love the Boillot Puligny Clos de la Mouchere
Wonderful stuff.
Great notes.

Todd - kind of easy to do when you have very generous hosts who keep opening more and more wonderful wines! This took the meaning of a “long lunch” to new levels.I was the first to leave at 7pm.

Brodie

Hi Brodie,
Thanks for posting the notes. Been in Auckland all week and being a little busy, had not got around to looking at the BB. It was a fun lunch which I look forwards to doing again on your next visit back.
Cheers Mike

BTW the Chateau Chalon was a great wine (for those that like Chateau Chalon). [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the notes. I have an 02 Hudelot Noellat RSV stored away for a special occasion. It’s nice to hear that it’s showing well.

great lunch–love that 96 Femme. Let’s hear about dinner!
alan

Alan, the 96 Femme is outstanding stuff and as good as any champagne I have had, is it well known in your part of the world? I think we all bought more on Monday…
Dinner was the Chateau Chalon, breakfast was the 96 Femme.
Cheers Mike

Philip, if you come over to NZ you are welcome for lunch…

I touted this particular wine a few years ago–loved the acidity. Duval-Leroy is often seen around here; I like the 500 ml bottle size for the Femme that I bought . . .
alan

Mike - just got back from our holiday in Malaysia. It was a memorable lunch. Yes the Duval Leroy Femme was awesome.

How did you rate the Prunotto against the two Sandrones?

See you again soon, thanks to Cathy too.

Brodie

The Prunotto was more approachable on opening particularly following all the other wines, I liked it more than the Sandrones at the lunch… much more immediate appeal. There was a inch or so left in the bottles for Monday and when I went back to them the Sandrones came through, the Prunotto a little oxidised by then while the Sandrones were just opening. The 97 was much more fruit driven than the 99, both excellent and with more potential than the Prunotto. Cheers Mike