What wines are you most looking forward to trying in 2009?

So after I answered the best of Q1, it made me think how there are some bottles which I really can hardly wait to try in 2009. What are yours?

Before 2010 I will have:
1988 & 1990 Pol Roger SWC
1987 Mondavi Reserve Cabernet
1990 Pichon Baron
[cheers.gif]

Very difficult question. Probably more old DRCs as the ones I’ve had still haven’t convinced me they are worth their price. On the other hand, I intend on trying older Dujacs (i.e., '80s and down) because all of their wines I’ve had, except their '96 Échézeaux, I felt, were worth their prices.

I also still have 2 bottles of '90 Marquis d’Angerville Volnay Champans and 1 of their '88 Taillepeds that I intend to open soon. I haven’t had those in a while and am wondering how they are doing.

For Bordeaux, I am trying to find a way to have the '55 Rauzan Ségla again. For Napa, I look forward to another '91 Dominus.

Whatever completely unknown, straight out of left field thing blows us away at VinItaly next week. Past qualifiers have been a Puglian Rosato that was our favorite wine of any kind one year, Andrea Picchioni’s Oltrepò Pavese Pinot Nero Metodo Classico 1997 Profilo that he disgorged right before the show LAST year and the insane Vaona Pegrandi Riserva Amarone 2000…

1991 Montelena Estate Cab out of 3 Liter
SQN Raven Syrah & Grenache

Carlisle. I pick up my first allocation on Saturday and can’t wait. Conventional wisdom says wait, blah blah – I’ll make that determination for myself.

And all the 2007 barrel samples I can get my hands. 07 might actually meet the hype.

My friend gifted me a Beringer White zin that he bought around 2002 during a recent cab tasting. I’m looking forward to trying my first Beringer White Zin next week at an offline :slight_smile:

Charlie, brown bag that sucker and tell people it’s one of Gravner’s disciples in Croatia or somewhere and see what they say about it…

I do that often =) Chinese ice wine anyone?

They make ice wine in China? Any good? I know Judy Leissner who owns and runs of Grace Vineyard in China and have tried her 2005 Chairman’s Reserve Cabernet - tastes and smells vaguely Napa-esque. It goes for the equivalent of 50Euros in China, pretty expensive for a Chinese wine, so I jokingly told her she should change the name to “Screaming Dragon”.

Bulkin’s 89 Haut Brion

99 yquem
1986 Lafite
06 Pax Richards Family from bottle (tasted from barrel and it was stunning)
06 Maybach from bottle (tasted from barrel and it was out of this world!!)

That’s actually the price of it, about $80 american? It was purchased in China, came in a beautiful velvet box. I thought most people liked it, I thought it was pretty tasty. Maybe not worth $80 but it was good. It’s missing depth, but it tasted like it had some age on it.

You could well be describing the “Screaming Dragon” as well. Tasty and pleasing enough, seems mature already, and, undoubtedly a novelty wine. A bit too pricey for what it is, but not totally unreasonable.

Everything at FF#2

Looking forward to the Magnum of 1870 Pride Claret I got from a yard sale last month.
Want to see if California wines can age…

Truth is, the 1992 Grange I grabbed for a C note…

Whatever people feel like opening for me [cheers.gif]

Seriously, I drink much less wine now, and I already know the bottles I open every time I make it back to France - champagne from Selosse, chambolle from Roumier and a cote-rotie from Jamet. Looking forward to those. Projected opening date: Dec '09.

I have three wine goals for 2009:

1. Continue to explore and learn about Burgundy, whether at home or in debtor’s prison.
  2. Drink more Champagne. We always say we should drink more Champagne, but we never do it.
  3. Try more wines made by people I know. One of the most interesting things about the wine world online is that we, the consumers, have easy access to so many producers who will answer our questions about their work. I’ve strongly considered a campaign to annoy Todd Hamina into making more rosé.

That makes two of us. [highfive.gif]

2008 Merry Edwards Savignon blanc
2005 SQN Atlantis Vin de Paille
2005 SQN Atlantis Roussanne

i want to drink more aged PS and have been eyeing a 1971 Climens that will lose its cork soon.