UPDATE: TN Antica Terra Pinot Noir

I know these are made by Maggie Harrison but has anyone tried any of her Pinots from this Winery, this is the 2007 Willamette Vly Pinot that will release next month. I have been offered some and would like some insight. I know I love the Lillian but have never tried the Pinot. Thanks

They are enjoyable but a little odd. I know it’s cliched, but they veer stylistically towards syrah. Very big, beefy without much of what I would consider varietal character. Enjoyable, but different.

Thanks for the thoughts. I figured that was the style but I still signed up for the list after listening to the interview on graperadio. She was great and I love the way she described Oregon.

What are the prices?

I have had the Lillian which was awesome yet ordinary.

Jason

Jason,
I haven’t received pricing yet but I think they are $45-$48

2006 Antica Terra PN was an awesome wine, and I would not mistake it for Syrah. Big Pinot, but not even close to over the top. I drank it about 3 times last year.

IIRC, Maggie said in the graperadio interview, that they weren’t releasing an AT 07 Pinot???
I must have heard it wrong.?

I’ve got a few, so I guess I should try another.

I thought that was the 05 … but I don’t remember for sure.

Jason

Funny, I was listening to Maggie’s interview on GR this morning on my walk. She is quite engaging. Can’t wait to hear the last 30 minutes of the interview.

So, an interview can compel some to sign up to buy wines. JK, she had a good track record / reputation and had great tutelage at SQN.

Heard the buzz about Lillian last year, but my cupboard is overflowing. That is why we have offlines.

:smiley: Well sign up and buy are different things … but I will look for an opportunity to taste. If they are in the above $40 category, it will be tough as there aren’t many Oregon Pinots I will pay that much for.

Jason

If my hearing and memory are correct, Maggie said that each year is different so it was impossible to make a 2006 in 2007. That might be the statement you heard, John. [dontknow.gif]

There was no Antica Terra in 2005. That was the vintage Maggie and her partners sold off without bottling. The 2006 is indeed big pinot – that’s the vintage, not the house style. It’s no syrah though. The 2007, which I’ve had twice, is gorgeously perfumed pinot noir, stylistically very different from 2006 but very nice wine. I loved it the first time I tried it, was skeptical going in for the second time but loved it again. I taste no resemblance to Lillian syrah in either of the wines, in size, color, oak, or any other element. Lillian is a whole 'nother thing.

The Anitca Terra arrived and I was anxious to try it. Opened and let it breathe for a second or two ! I have to give up my blonde moment.
Randy opened the bottle and said it seemed light. I came out of my office, went over to where the bottle & glasses were and looked at the glass and thought OMG there is something really wrong, it had an amber color that I was afraid to think about what was coming next, I picked up the glass & gave it a swirl, I really didn’t want to smell or taste it but put it up to my nose and said “OH SHIT WAS IS THIS”, I took a sip it was my Ice Tea from lunch. DUH ! I felt so much better when I actually poured the Pinot…

Antica Terra 2007 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir
Great label in the SQN interesting fashion. The vineyard sources are 53% Antica Terra, 29% Shea, 9% Croft and 9% Cherry Grove. Bright cherry, raspberry and spice with hints of blackberry coming through. Some interesting herbs & a bit of toastiness that made it unique. This really started to open up at the end of the bottle (of course) . This will really benefit from a couple of years but it was damn good last night especially after the tea !

Thanks for the update. Antica Terra sounds like a wine I might like. What I found interesting about the GR interview was Maggie’s implication that she is not necessary committed to the preservation of terroir in her wines. Instead, she states that she is committed to idea of “deliciousness.” At a time when the romanticization of terroir is becoming increasingly more shrill, I find her honesty and forthrightness very refreshing. It would be interesting to hear how Burg-heads have responded to her wines, especially in light of her winemaking philosophy.