Any of you reprobates going to VinItaly next week?

If so, we’ll be having drinks and snacks at Enoteca Cangrande (where our friend Giovanni has one of the best lists in town and his wife Karina cooks up a storm) on the Wednesday night before the show as always, hope to meet some new folks this year.

The owners of Enoteca Cangrande with their cane piccolo | Photo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Verona.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am a miscreant…and no I won’t be going.

Bill, I 'll be sure to have a three inch thick porterhouse of HORSE with extra mushrooms and garlic in your honor…

Nice.

Someday, I will make my vinous hajj and be swept away by the madness that is Verona at VinItaly time. [beg.gif]

Bill, once I met a guy with a nice restaurant in Oregon over a big dinner in Verona with three courses of horses. Two YEARS later, he sees one of our e-mails with some really hard to get wine and calls me up wanting some. I tell him we are already oversubscribed and can’t do it.

He says to me “Ma, fratello, noi abbiamo mangiato cavallo insieme!” (“But, brother, we’ve eaten horse together!”). I laughed so hard I dropped the phone but then I sent him three bottles…

Not in this economy! have one in my absence at Bottegga Del Vino!

“Not in this economy! have one in my absence at Bottegga Del Vino!”

Sarah, don’t worry, I will drink enough for the both of us but not at BDV. That place is strictly for amateurs. Not even the fifth best wine bar in Verona. They do give good hype though.

Roberto, I guess you are cooler than I will ever be :slight_smile:

Yep, got my feet wet there last year. Closed the place three nights in a row. So much fun!

No, it’s just that over 19 years of visiting Verona, we’ve gotten outside the tourist track thanks to good advice from locals.

Leaving for the airport shortly, y’all play nice…

VinItaly is one of the worst tasting spectacles I have ever been to. It goes on for miles. All schmoozing, very little tasting. And it is mostly Italian wines :wink:

Dan, it you get out of the Toscana and Piemonte pavillions (and that one that is dedicated to rich guys who don’t want to show with their neighbors but with their “peers” instead), it is both pleasant and very wine oriented. Like all such events, it is what you make of it. We have over 150 appointments and won’t have a lot of time for schmoozing.

One of our managers is going for the first time and I think that her being able to put a face and a meeting behind each wine will help her immensely in the future.