Confessions of a first growth virgin.

I have never tasted a first growth Bordeaux. I love Bordeaux, but I’ve always gone the bang-for-the-buck route with LLC, Leoville Barton, Cos, Lynch Bages, and Calon Segur. Steve and I will celebrate our fifth anniversary at the end of this month, and I’d like to surprise him.

So what should I buy?

I want something a bit older, and don’t mind stepping out of my $$$ comfort zone, but I absolutely do not what to spend the extra money for a “blockbuster” vintage like '61 or '82. Do you have a favorite unsung vintage?

Lafite-Rothschild 1989 (but definitely not 1990!!). It has everything: outrageous nose, power, depth and super finish.

1989 or 1990 Chateau Latour.

I’ve had the '83 Mouton and Lafite in the past year and both have been wonderful.

Hit up Freemott for one of his '03 Lafites. Pretty near a 100 pt wine right now.

1 Like

'83…good point. Sleeper vintage, but probably not too cheap any more.

Boy, I’ve certainly posted a lot my first time here. At the risk of wearing my recent welcome thin, allow me a few suggestions before I go to bed (it’s 1:19am as I type).

Before I go into vintages, let me first suggest you go for Haut Brion - it is one of my favorite 1st growths and, generally, the least expensive one at that.

That said, may I suggest the '94 Haut Brion which may be currently purchased for $300 more-or-less. I’ve had this not long ago (around September or October 2008) and it was wonderful. While most are generally cool to '94 Bdx, I’ve recently found several to be quite enjoyable: Angelus and La Mission HB immediately come to mind.

1989s are also very nice, but the HB is ridiculously priced, no thanks to you-know-who.

Instead of focusing on a 1st growth for Steve (send him my warmest regards please), why not go for something like a 1986 or 1990 Cos d’Estournel instead?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m loving the prices on the '89s. Noel, re: '86 Cos, we’ve had it several times and I want to shoot for something that will be new to us both. I just ordered a '94 La Mission Haut Brion… might still order an '89 “something” since LMHB is not technically a first growth.

Tex, Is Freemunch giving away first growths? He’s such a nice boy.

True, but they’ll probably cost around 300-400 at the moment. (Melissa said she was fine paying a little extra…)

He is if you cook him a steak and snuggle with him.

I agree with Noel about 94. Very underrated vintage.

Here’s Haut Brion in your neck of the woods for under $200:
http://www.brentwoodwine.com/os/itemhtml/ht992516.shtml?OsaScript=itemnavg&__itemnum=992516" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

83 Latour:
Buy Wine Online at Hooked On Wine, Purveyors of Fine & Vintage Wine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

93 Latour:
Buy Wine Online at Hooked On Wine, Purveyors of Fine & Vintage Wine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

94 Mouton for under $200:

94 Margaux:

You get the idea Mel. [thank_you.gif]

That’s not my thumb.

Is that how you got to taste yours? How was the snuggling?

Actually I tasted first, cooked him a steak and Lang snuggled with him and a bag of M&M’s at La Keeentah.

Post all you like Noel. I think I can speak for all of us to say that your contributions are very welcome. Terrific notes and posts.
[cheers.gif]

I would try to find an 85 Margaux or Haut Brion. Just rocking now. The 83 Lafite is no big deal -the 83 Pichon Lalande kills it.

Red if your looking for a Haut Brion, I suggest the 88, 98 or 01. The 88 and 01 are sleeper vintages but are delicious and you can get them all for around $250 or less.

Lots of good ideas. 98 HB comes to mind first, 83 Mouton or Margaux. Love the 85 HB, too.

John

Red,

If you snuggle you can have your choice of my Lafite, Latour or Margaux. But, I’m the outside spoon as that’s the cheatin’ spoon.

My $.02…

Don’t sweat it. It’s not as monumental as you may think it is especially with your depth of super second exposure. - is it worth it? Perhaps, if someone else is buying.

But, prices on recent vintages are falling fast - so pick one off and wait if you cannot get an older one with good sourcing.

I’ve had 82 and 83 and prefer the latter. I also happen to like fruit and find that the 98s are singing right now. But that’s MY palate, not yours.

I had the great group in Chicago treat me to about 15 firsts on one night - it was splendid. Alas, if you have to rely on Woody for your cherry to be broken - you’re screwed.

Palate of yak.