West Coast Syrah

Hi,
I would like to hear your take on your favorite syrah(s) (quality to price ratio QPR) from the west coast. I just ventured into the syrah world having thoroughly enjoyed the 2007 Lewis Syrah and the 2006 Radio Coteau Cherry Camp (two diifferent styles IMHO). I tend to favor the big fatty and more mineral Lewis more but the Radio C’s fruit is awsome in its own style. Would love recommendations from others as well before I make the big plunge. Sweet spot is 50 buck per bottle (plus or minus 20). Love to age them or forget about them in the cellar for 5-10 years.
Cheers, [thankyou.gif]

(1) Anything from Carlisle
(2) Lucia Susan’s Hill Syrah

Initially I was going to recommend the Radio Couteau Timbervine, but it looks like you have at least been introduced to the producer.
For QPR, one producer not named too often on the boards is Loxton in Sonoma Valley. He makes fantastic Syrahs at a nice price range, around $30.
I am not a huge Central Coast Syrah guy, but I do enjoy Saxum.

+1 and you can also add Lucia “Gary’s” and almost the whole Novy line-up.

Plenty to choose from here - up and down the coast.

Though Eric may not be a fan of Central Coast syrahs, there are a plethora of fantastic ones are great prices . . . Some to explore:

Jaffurs
Ojai
Qupe
Stolpman
Beckmen
Melville
Fess Parker (who I work for - full disclosure)
Zaca Mesa
Tensley

All of these producers offer some great QPR values . . .

Cheers!

Oh and Big Basin and anything Copain- the list could go on and on, but for QPR these are all pretty much sub $40.

I think Larry missed Tercero on his list. [highfive.gif]

Absolutely. [pillow-fight.gif]

I’ll second the Copain. Nice wines.

Arnot-Roberts
Wind Gap

Since the thread called for West Coast Syrah I’ll toss in Dunham from Walla Walla. Had a bottle of Beckman Syrah whole cluster made with neutral oak the other day and it was superb. Unfortunately Beckman deemed it an experiment and made only 25 cases and as I understand it never made any more.

Dave
ITB Calicaro Wine

+1 on the Novy syrahs. Their Page-Nord Vineyard is a favorite of mine. Surh Luchtel also makes a really good syrah from the same vineyard.

I recently got a syrah from Constant. Their Diamond Mountain vineyards straddle the Napa/Sonoma line and the syrah comes from the Sonoma side. Even for a young pup, the balance was impressive and the fruit was as delicious as any syrah I have had.

+1 on Copain and Qupe

Also, I like some of the K. Vintners syrahs as well. Had an excellent Cougar Hill syrah from them recently.

#1 region and variety in my cellar, in order: Carlisle, Ojai, Shane, Saxum, Copain, Keplinger, Tercero, Stefania, Stolpman, Terry Hoage. I enthusiastically recommend all of these producers.

I really enjoyed the Westerhold Syrah from Bennet Valley. I think it has aging potential as well. I also really like Big Basin Rattlesnake Ridge and ArnotRoberts.

Of the ones I’ve had the pleasure of trying, I agree with Carlisle, Copain, and I’ll toss in Cabot for that matter. And, if you’re not in a big hurry to get on a list, Cayuse is an outstanding wine also.

Many very good one already mentioned. I’ll add my vote to Jaffurs, Tercero and Saxum and I’ll add Ampelos, Tantara (yes they do make Syrah), and Foxen. From up Paso way besides the Saxum , I’m a big fan of Denner.

Would second many on the previous lists and add Myriad, whose Las Madres Syrah is awesome and just a bit over your $30 limit. And while Saxum is the number one wine in my cellar, it’s well beyond the price point, so I’d suggest you seek out Herman Story for a similar full-throated approach.

That sensation you tasted on the Lewis is not mineral, it’s oak :wink: If you like that style, there are plenty around like it. If you want to try a more reserved style, my recommendations are Copain, Peay, Dehlinger, Cabot, Shane (well, Shane’s wines are still pretty large framed).

Novy
Scholium
Dehlinger
Bedrock
Eric Kent
Copain