TN: 2006 Rivers Marie Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Bill Tex Landreth

TN: 2006 Rivers Marie Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast

#1 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » January 30th, 2009, 7:37 am

This ain't your typical thin and enemic PN. Fairly dark in the glass with no real likeness to most of the CA PN that I drink....which admittedly is basically limited to what Philip opens for me. On the nose, very strong aromas of cherry and some vanilla. Palate is dense and you can tell who the winemaker is. Cherries carry over and there is a slight hint of oak. Great acidity on the wine now. Very well made and it will solidify my decision to purchase my first allocation.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

Tony V e l e b i l

Re: TN: 2006 Rivers Marie Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast

#2 Post by Tony V e l e b i l » January 30th, 2009, 9:00 am

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:This ain't your typical thin and enemic PN. Fairly dark in the glass with no real likeness to most of the CA PN that I drink....which admittedly is basically limited to what Philip opens for me. On the nose, very strong aromas of cherry and some vanilla. Palate is dense and you can tell who the winemaker is. Cherries carry over and there is a slight hint of oak. Great acidity on the wine now. Very well made and it will solidify my decision to purchase my first allocation.
Cracked one of these a couple of Saturdays ago and Traci's friends said, I found my new favorite Pinot (and her father is the GM of Benovia WInery)...it's very good.
“Remember,” said John Adams, “democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Cris Whetstone » January 30th, 2009, 9:25 am

Thanks for the note Tex. Several of us loved this over dinner a couple months back. My others are sleeping for the time being.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Bill Tex Landreth

#4 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » January 30th, 2009, 9:26 am

I had to try the lone bottle that I had before I committed to the recent mailer. This is a bottle that I got in trade from Frenchie back in the Fall. Really a fine bottle that is drinking well early.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

Sean Reed

#5 Post by Sean Reed » January 30th, 2009, 9:41 am

Looks like we both have the same taste in Pinot. The '06 is rocking with time in the decanter.

William Segui
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#6 Post by William Segui » January 30th, 2009, 2:38 pm

FWIW - I got an email from TRB this morning letting me know he was granting my wish list + mag. If you haven't yet ordered, you may want to move quickly.

Brandon Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Brandon Miller » January 30th, 2009, 8:29 pm

Thin and anemic would definitely not be a TN on what I'm used to drinking from CA Pinot Noir. Big, bold, and in your face are some of the usual descriptors.

Joe Hauck

#8 Post by Joe Hauck » January 30th, 2009, 8:36 pm

Brandon Miller wrote:Thin and anemic would definitely not be a TN on what I'm used to drinking from CA Pinot Noir. Big, bold, and in your face are some of the usual descriptors.
I couldn't have said it better myself, but these RM pinots are good ain't they.
One of the few good things about modern times " if you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Wine Talk”