Relatively Recent 1996 First Growth Notes Over Dinner.

Greetings, All.

I was invited by Melissa McCall to join this board. Briefly, I’m a 40-something lawyer (married, 3 sons) who lives in the Philippines and is obsessed with wine, food and pairing. I grew up drinking French wine because of my father, hence my strong preference for French wines, mainly Bordeaux, Burgundy. I do very much enjoy wines from Italy and Spain as well.

These are my notes (as well as a few photos) from a 1996 horizontal 1st growth horizontal dinner, 7 friends in all, held on the 29th June 2008 at one of the participant’s wine shop.

With pass-arounds of Sautéed Scallops with Braised Oxtail and Microgreens, and, Beignet de Brandade with Tomato Confit:

1996 Veuve Clicquot “La Grande Dame” - I think this is the first time I tried this vintage of La Grande Dame as, to the best of my (ailing) memory, I recall having had only the '89, '90 and '95. Clean, pure white fruit attack turns floral, very toasty and mildly yeasty the moment it hits mid-palate, where it expands generously and gains substantial creaminess towards the back. Sucking in a bit of air once the bubbles allow emphasizes the toastiness. This bubbly certainly wasn’t shy; it was eager to please, displayed proudly mid-mouth with a funneling exit of added citrus notes.

1996 Dom Pérignon - We’ve had this many times and I’ve written at least 2 tasting notes since early 2005 when I first tried it, the last written notes I’ve found being from early December 2006:

Dom Perignon 1996 - A gift to me by the Doc, I brought it to go with the starters. We’ve gone through many, many bottles of this over the last couple of years, and it remains as bright and linear as ever. My old notes state:

Toasty young citrus with easily detectable yeasty/bread dough notes trailing. Bracing, bright, crisp, linear, firm yet enthusiastic primary flavors of pineapple, apricot and lemon. Acids pronounced in the finish. Still quite young, a long way to go, very precocious but charmingly so.

I add now that the apricot is very faint and the wine is noticeably toastier than before. A very good Dom Pérignon.

What I can further add is that, in comparison to the Grande Dame (though most enjoyable and entertaining in itself), the Dom has obviously better focus, much finer mousse, a tighter-knit body (beside the Grande Dame, the latter seems slightly loose and scattered), purer fruit and a healthier, bracing acidic edge.

In all, I say the Dom was a neater, finer, more complete and streamlined package. At this stage, I’d open the Grande Dame for joyous frivolity and the Dom for more refined occasions and contemplative moments.

After dishes of Essence of Pot-au-Feu Bone Marrow, followed with a salad of Mixed Greens, Reblochon, Toasted Walnuts and Truffle Vinaigrette, Portobello and Goat Cheese Ravioli in Sage Butter with Parmesan Cheese and a Dalandan (a local citrus similar to an orange) Sorbet, with a main course of Roasted Prime Rib-Eye Au Jus, Potato Lyonnaise, Dwarf Bok Choi, the wines were served and ranked semi-blind (i.e., we knew what the wines in the line-up were but were not told which was which):

Wine A - I immediately noted readily apparent roasted herbs in the nose and Gentleman Joe pointed out the slight scent of chocolate (Eric said mocha while I leaned more towards milk chocolate). Sweet cedar, touch of camphor, mild gravel infused the dark fruit/cassis. Ripe cherry/mild raspberry highlights. Long finish, warm and comforting feel.

The herbs and gravel gave this one away, most likely. I and others guessed it to be the Haut-Brion.

It turned out, in fact, to be the 1996 Haut-Brion.

Wine B - Deep, dark, layered fruit, mild licorice, lead pencil. Sweet tea nuances surfaced later on. Not very expressive at this point and there is a detectable gap between individual flavors that, to me, indicates that the wine still needs material time to come together. Very good structure noted though. Solid bones in this.

I couldn’t guess what it was and it was later on revealed to be the sole non-first growth 1996 Léoville las Cases.

I’m not surprised now that this wine hadn’t quite come together yet as las Cases, in my experience, always takes a very long time to reveal its true harmony and resulting beauty.

Wine C - Big, wide, a bit muddled at first but eventually settled down after many more minutes into its ripe, luscious, opulently rounded, full-bodied self. Dark chocolate, camphor, Spanish cedar notes. The most open and forward of the reds. I and another noted a bit later that it was an especially good pairing with the steak.

Due to its comparative forwardness and openness even at this young stage (for a Médoc first growth, that is), together with its pronounced dark chocolate and luscious mouthfeel, I guessed it to be the Mouton Rothschild.

The wine turned out to be the 1996 Mouton Rothschild.

Wine D - Minty nose with ripe cranberry nuances over ripely sweet cassis. Broad and elegant mid-mouth with whispers of anise, tea leaf and violets hanging in the long black fruit finish.

After a while, I noticed unresolved tannins in the finish, but this is hardly surprising for a first growth this age. I jotted it down as the Lafite.

It was later revealed to be the 1996 Lafite Rothschild.

Wine E - My notes become even more telegraphic at this stage since everyone else was starting to vote and I hadn’t finished my rankings yet. At blind tastings, I am most always the last to submit and usually feel embarrassed holding everyone else up. The only reasons I take long, though, is because (1) I wish to see how each wine evolves over the evening’s span; and, (2) I make several passes on each wine in attempt to give justice to each’s merits.

In any event, I recall sweetish herb notes hovering above a perfumed aroma. Like Wine B, I noted a bit of a diffused feel to it and noted that it still was “not come together”.

I was quite surprised when it was revealed to be the 1996 Margaux.

Wine F - Approaching the generosity, weight and fullness of Wine C (i.e., the Mouton), but in a more somber, properly reserved manner. Masculine. Neither opulent nor flamboyant, the wine glares back at you, challenging, seemingly daring you to drink it. Layered dark fruit, minerals, graphite, cassis, earthy. There is red berry/fruit on the surface, to be sure, but seems to be wanting to sink deeper into the middle. More terroir driven than fruit, to me. No material chocolate notes noticed.

Again, being rushed, I couldn’t write down an educated guess but fleetingly thought it to be the Léoville las Cases. I was wrong. It was the 1996 Latour.

The afternoon before the dinner, I recalled, upon the Doc’s prompting, that we had this before at an IWFS Latour vertical held at Bianca’s a few years ago. Unfortunately, due to too much wine, I lost the notes I took of that evening. Good thing the Doc reminded me as I had forgotten that I ever had this wine before.

My Own Ranking:

Wine #1 - Wine C, Mouton Rothschild

Wine #2 - Wine F, Latour

Wine #3 - Wine D, Lafite Rothschild

Wine #4 - Wine E, Margaux

Wine #5 - A tie between Wines A and B: Haut-Brion and Léoville las Cases

The Group’s Collective Ranking (only until 3rd favorite wine):

Wine #1 - Wine F, Latour

Wine #2 - Wine D, Lafite Rothschild

Wine #3 - Wine E, Margaux

The aftermath was just as wonderful. We enjoyed a 1996 Yquem and a 2001 Rieussec with a simple Vanilla Bean Crème Brûlée with Candied Orange Zest. At that point, I was a bit mentally exhausted from analyzing the reds so I shamefully neglected to write down any notes on these Sauternes. You’ll just have to take my word for it that they were both sublime in their own ways.

Opening with a hell of a bang I see Noel. Simply amazing. Welcome and thank you, truly, for a superb contribution to this forum. [good.gif]

Wow, great line-up…I just have one question, why was the lafite wrapped in plastic wrap?

Thank you for the welcome and kind words, Jorge. I hope it is not a problem that I include pictures of the corresponding wine bottles when I post my notes.

Best,

N

It’s a practise of many collectors around these parts to preserve the labels of their bottles. I think its a little silly myself, but, there you go.

N

Noel,

Quite the contrary. Pictures are welcome (in the future though, try to scale them down just a little). Keep up with the great posts.

Welcome to the BB. Great evening and some interesting observations on some wines just starting to hint at maturity.

Noel…

Spectacular notes and great pictures. Looks like you guys out in the Philippines are drinking well these days! I love doing horizontals with all five firsts as you can really see the terroir show through.

Thanks for sharing!

A joy to read Noel, as always, A question: you mentioned a sweet tea note in the LLC, but also described it as not yet mature. I’ve always thought of “sweet tea” as a tertiary quality of Bordeaux, and have picked it up only in a couple of much older LLCs I’ve tried. Is that something you commonly find in younger wines?

Wow, Noel, and I thought your other notes were good! What a tremendous lineup!

I’m quite jealous that you called so many wines blind. Impressive.

Jorge, thanks, and I will certainly do that.

Izzy, Loren and P, thank you for the kind words. I am happy you enjoyed reading my post.

Izzy, not many of us here drink this way on a regular basis. The Philippine wine market is quite small (miniscule, really), and those who are “deeply” into the pleasures of wine much smaller. We pretty much all know each other here.

Hello, and thank you, Melissa. No, it’s not something I’ve often noted in younger wines - though I usually get it in Cos d’Estournels (Asian tea leaves, that is), the '96 included. I recall noting it in a very young wine relatively recently (i.e., 2005 Château Fourcas-Dupré, a little known Listrac-Médoc Cru Bourgeois Supérieur) during on my re-tasting of the '05 vintage at Vinexpo Asia-Pacific late this past May though.

Todd, thanks, just lucky guesses. Wasn’t really difficult since there were only a few wines, I knew the line-up beforehand and am quite familiar with the wines.

Words fail me. It’s not every day anyone has an experience like this! Nice.

Very true, but it should be for everyone who loves wine.

Thanks,

N

Judas priest! Exquisite lineup, Noel. I don’t think we’ve “talked” since you made it to the Augie Hug dinner before HdR some years ago (I recall some nice Burgs you brought). Welcome, and I very much look forward to your TNs here.

Eric

Hi, Eric.

Yes that was in Paso Robles, May 2006, right? I really enjoyed that dinner. I got to try my very first Marcassin there, as well as many other good American pinot noirs.

You have a very good wine memory. I brought a magnum each of 1995 and 1999 Arnoux Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Reignots to that off-line dinner.

Great post and photos [cheers.gif]

Welcome to the board Noel and quite a 1st impression. Thank you for the wonderful notes and thanks confirming that the 96 Mouton is drinking well, I plan on drinking one this month. BTW, how long did you decant?

Thanks for the welcome, Steve and Bob.

Steve, I have no idea how long they were decanted as they were already breathing when I arrived. A few hours, I believe.

Best,

Noel (now LMD Ermitaño)

Bravo sir! Thank you for sharing! [notworthy.gif]

Thank you, William, for the kind words. I’m happy you enjoyed reading.

Best,

N