Boston Taste of Champagne

Anyone going tonight? I will be there.

Natalie…I had other plans, but how was it?

Natalie,

I hope it was fun. I have 4-5 friends I know who were going (many were there last year, too). I should have made some introductions, sorry!

Tell us what was good, willya?

It was a really fun event. A good excuse to get a new dress. The food tables were great although I mostly spent my time tasting champagnes. Yummy oysters though.

The winners of the night for me:

1. H. Billiot brut reserve-primarily pinot noir with a little chard, had a really unique vanilla/carmel taste on the finish

2. Jean Milan brut cuvee speciale- a blanc de blanc, grand cru, very crisp with lemon on the finish

3. Paul Goerg brut blanc de blanc-cherry on nose, mineral on palate with great acidity, premier cru, aged 4 years on lees

4. Vilmart & Cie brut grand cellier-80% chard/20% pinot noir, aged 2-3 years in neutral french oak…this was one of my last ones and by this time my tasting notes had degraded to “damn good”

The most unique one was the Aubry brut as they use a blend of 5 grapes (2 were grandfathered in-please note there was a language issue as my French is lacking so I am not sure I got these right-petite mezlia and fromonto. A Google search comes up with nothing on these two so any info anyone would like to share about them would be helpful.). This one had a lot of minerality on the nose and was very fresh, crisp with lemon on the palate.

[foilhat.gif] Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

[stop.gif]

Thanks for some of the detailed impressions, Natalie. I asked my friend Ed for some specific feedback and all I got was “in a word, fantastic. At least the parts I remember.”

-Michael

Sounds like Ed.

I am wholeheartedly glad you enjoyed H. Billiot. Have been a longtime fan (see avatar) of everything the house offers, but I always come back to, and am amazed by the quality in the brut reserve. [cheers.gif] Just don’t tell too many people or we will never be able to afford it again!

Petite Meslier and Fromenteau are what you were looking for.

Thanks! I knew the problem was my lack of French!

[highfive.gif]