06 Copain Eaglepoint Ranch Syrah

So the video release of the 07’s peaked my curiosity, since I haven’t opened one of these yet I thought now was the time. The aromatics are just fantastic ( like fresh cut flowers ). Medium weight, red fruit ( raspberry ) and smoke, but this is all about black pepper, the fruit is there and maybe seems a little more intense because of the nose, but this is very nicely balanced with tons of acidity and very northern Rhone. If you like big extracted Syrah this isn’t for you, but if like me you like well balanced peppery food friendly syrah you will love this.

Here here! Popped one of these a few weeks ago. Great nose and really started to open up nicely in 90mins.

I am honestly surprised how well many Copain’s do with little decanting. I love the wine, just not all the 3 pack offerings.

It’s nice to have 3 of everything, there’s just so many releases every year that you have to find what you like and just buy those or go broke…

I really enjoyed it. Again, thanks for opening it!

Nice note Joe. I recently had the '05 and really enjoyed, although it has some upside for sure. Sounds like the '06 is in the same groove.
Thanks.

Think I’m going to grab a 3-pack of the Baker’s Ranch over this bottling. It sounds from the videopod that the Baker’s vineyard has an even cooler climate than Eaglepoint.

Don’t be fooled Russ the Eaglepoint is very cool climate. I would have liked to order some of the Baker’s also, but I have to draw the line somewhere- It’s been an expensive week.

Yes, but it sounds like the fruit is just a tad darker and yes it has been a brutal week.

We recently opened an 04 and it didn’t suck!

[drinkers.gif]

I haven’t had an '06 yet, but sounds like its time. With the release of the '07 is the first time that Copain has bumped the price on the Eaglepoint since its first year in '99. Wells and Kevin run a good business and make even BETTER wines! [ok.gif]

Nice to se you posting here Casey… I think the 06 will reward more cellar time, but is very drinkable now. I agree totally about Wells and Kevin ( class acts ).

I finished a 2005 this week which I placed into my notes in CT. I liked the 2005. I am mulling over my recent Copain offering and thinking about going for the 2007.

Casey, is the vineyard organic or sustainably farmed?

Nope, not organic. Hard to do under-the-vine weed control on hillside sites like ours. Besides the one application of roundup in March, we’re just about organic after that. We haven’t had to spray for an insect pest in over 15 years now so our beneficials have good populations. I would think the '07 Copain is going to rock, as all of my '07’s are stellar.

Thanks, Casey. For curiousity sake, is there an alternative to the ROundup that would meet the goal of knocking down the weeds, ala the Clos Pepe sheep or something of that alternative?