Big Ass Syrah Tasting...

Last Friday at a friend’s apartment. This was a SQN vs N Rhone taste off. Below are my notes… For the record, I generally loathe the style of Rhone Rangers as I find them obnoxious [suicide.gif] . Eight drinkers and those left standing went to the bar aftewrwards to make the night an official party. Anyway…

My thoughts on the wines are as follows:

Starters served with cheeses, smoked pork in filo dough triangles.
06 SQN Hoodoo Man- This wine was gigantic on the nose that jumped out of the glass like ether and offensive on the palate. This wine is as viscous as a 5 Puttonyos Tokaji with legs that ran fatter than any other dry wine I’ve had. I affectionately referred to the legs as having “cankles.” 83 pts
83 Dom Perignon- Dark caramel color with aromas dominated by caramelized sugar, roasted chestnuts coming together to resemble a creamy flan. On the palate, the dulce de leche comes through with a nice acidity to back it up. Hardly any fruit to be found in this wine. 89 pts
92 Ermitage Blanc L’Oree Chapoutier- Subtle nose of honeyed fruit and a smidge of oxidation. Palate is thin but whisps of vanilla (not woody though) and lavender come through. This wine has either past its prime or is in a horribly shut down phase. 86 pts

1st flight served with an earthy mushroom soup with bacon.
90 Hermitage La Chapelle Jaboulet- Now we’re in business. Some bacon and meat with dark berries on the nose and these meld beautifully when in the mouth. Elegantly balanced with the acidity, tannins, fruit and secondary characteristics in perfect harmony. My WOTN. 99 pts

90 Ermitage Le Pavillon Chapoutier- Much more rustic than the “La Chapelle” with a meatier nose and more subdued fruit. The tannins stuck around and “roughed up” the mouth a bit but kept pace with the smoked ham and blackberry on the mid palate. An overall beautiful wine in tough company when served next to the “La Chapelle.” 94 pts.

2nd flight served with tagliatelle in a veal, pork and beef Bolognese with a dollop of fresh ricotta.
91 Cote Rotie La Mouline Guigal- A bit “stewed” on the nose with big black cherry Dr. Brown’s soda, some prune, a bit of dark chocolate and churrascaria smells. The palate was a monster of fruit pushing to the forefront. I was expecting so much for this wine but I think it fell a touch short of my expectations as I was hoping for perfection based on other peoples’ notes. 93pts.

98 Cote Rotie La Turque Guigal- Purple in the glass with the tint holding to the edges of the glass. An elegant nose with the hints of meat seen in the other N. Rhones served. Subtle tart and slightly artificial/candy scents that I remember thinking reminded me of red Lifesavers. The palate is beautifully balanced. Sings in the glass. A wonderful wine. 96 pts.

3rd flight served with Flannery rib cap, mashed potatoes and creamed spinach.
02 SQN Just for the Love of It- This wine was on the edge of being completely out of whack. The nose reeked of iron and coagulated blood. It reminded me of the smell in an operating room after bloody trauma. This wine was viscous on the mouth and was consistent with the nose. Underperformed all the other SQN reds tonight. 86 pts.
03 SQN The Inaugural- Like most SQN, this wine was too big for me, however, it is extraordinarily difficult to deny the balance that this wine shows. Dark berries and oak on the nose and I think I picked up some cassis. The palate is round with a long finish. Perhaps a bit early to be drinking this wine? 94 pts.
04 SQN Poker Face- Lacks the finesse that I saw in the Atlantis Fe. Plum, stone fruits and steak on the nose initially. The mouth is big and consistent with a long lasting 30 second finish but a bit hot for me. This is a testament to a well made wine from well sourced fruit… It is just not my style though. 90 pts.

05 SQN Syrah Atlantis Fe 1a, b, & c- An elegant wine that lacked the over-the-top character that I hate about most Rhone rangers. The nose is big on earth, a smidge of limestone, heaps of dark fruit, and some smokey bacon. The alcohol balances beautifully with some mild acidity that was surprising for a wine like this. The best SQN I’ve tried. Given the others I’ve had, I am suspect as to the length of the drinking window on this wine. 96 pts.

Dessert- Cheesecake
86 Rieussec- Served from a .750, this wine is in a beautiful place right now. Honeysuckle, peach, good residual acidity and balance which keeps it from being cloying. Floral notes on the nose and palate. Darkening golden color but not a touch of brown. Lacks the depth which I’ve seen in the 83 but a great Sauternes. This wine is ready to drink. 94 pts.

**Final thoughts-

1. I love me some Northern Rhone
  2. SQN ain’t my style but it’s difficult to deny that Krankl makes well made, technically correct wines.**

Okay, I’m confused. Maybe we should stick this in the Cellartracker thread.

This was the one SQN that showed like crap… It was really a disaster of a wine. The rest of them were definitely well made wines.

From what I’ve heard from others, this wine was excellent earlier in it’s life and I think it speaks volumes as to what seems to be a very narrow lifespan for many SQN wines.

Great notes Izzy. Don’t mind Bob, he’s just going through menopause.

I’ve had 1998 SQN wines at 10 years of age (just this past summer of course) and it was the WOTN against all the other SQN syrahs released up to that point. They do age, but maybe they also go through a disjointed phase.

I assume none of the wines were blind, Izzy? How much air had they gotten?

None served blind. all had at least 3-4 hours of air… overall a good showing for most of the wines with the major exceptions of La Mouline 91 and JFTLOI.

I can’t beleive that was a proper bottle of JFTLOI from your description. I have not had the wine in a while, but based on other older SQN wines, they do NOT have a short life span. Maybe in an awkward phase. Who knows. Too bad there was not a second bottle to compare to.