TNs: 2013 Domaine Taupenot-Merme Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru La Combe d'Orveau and some casual wines

Some good news for my better half and me in our careers so we had a small celebratory dinner at Jade Palace. My first time and won’t be my last - excellent food (although a little pricey), and excellent service.

• 2013 Domaine Taupenot-Merme Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru La Combe d’Orveau - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru (14/8/2022)
    Was worried that this wouldn’t be ready but need not have worried, I do like lighter vintages like 2013 that do not need as much time as more structured vintages to unfurl. Textbook Chambolle elegance, this had a deep and sensual red-fruited nose. Some tart acidity at the forefront but had excellent balance with pure red fruit, silky tannins reminiscent of a good Chinese tea. Persistent, mineral finish. Just a wine that exuded class and I enjoyed the opportunity to follow this wine over the course of the meal - I think sometimes such contemplative and regal wines get overshadowed at big wine dinner. (94 pts.)

Casual dinner at a recently opened restaurant by a friend.

• 2010 Clos du Jaugueyron Margaux “Nout” - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (13/8/2022)
    My contribution - most guessed Italy because of the sweetness. Definitely a larger-scaled, riper Bordeaux with red cherry and strawberry fruit. From younger vines and sees more new oak apparently but still felt like it was traditionally made with little make-up. Very clean for a supposedly natural wine. Drinking very youthfully. (89 pts.)
  • 2012 Savaterre Pinot Noir - Australia, Victoria, North East, Beechworth (13/8/2022)
    Got this one completely wrong unfortunately. Excellent ringer for a Burgundy, thought this was a 06/08 Gevrey or Pommard. Lots of earthy and forest floor aromas, oak regiment similar to an old-school Burgundy producer. A muscular and dark-fruited wine, quite tertiary surprisingly for a screwcap. (89 pts.)
  • 2009 Louis Jadot Morgon Côte du Py Château des Jacques - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (13/8/2022)
    Wow almost got this spot on - guessed it to be Bojo around 10 years old, and when pressed for the village I thought Morgon with the structure. Sour cherry notes that is typical of Gamay, some firm acidity on the mid-palate and a hint of alcohol burn on the finish. Developed a lot sweetness with air. (88 pts.)

2 Likes

I’ve been trying more taupenot lately and I’ve become really fond of their style. Like you said, these wines are so well balanced with pure red fruit. Fully destemmed wines

1 Like