Pre-Mox....Thoughts

Had not seen capsules as the villain yet. Thoughts?

According to the article Lamy believes inconsistent quality of the corks due to climate change are part of the problem and wax capsules could be part of the solution. It doesn’t seem like he looks at capsules as villains. I will say that I’ve never had a pre-moxed Raveneau.

If corks and closures are the problem why aren’t other countries suffering from premox.

I saw that the IMW has a premox question on the MW exam. Would love to see how the answers are graded.

1 Like

I do think there has been premox in other countries—certainly outside of Burgundy.

I don’t know if corks are the problem but I do think synthetic cork is a solution. I’ve never had or heard of a premoxed wine under DIAM.

2 Likes

I have not seen premox here. Loire yes. Germany no. Italy no.

1 Like

we have been through this so often it is getting tiresome. Think of the cork as the fuse. It’s a combination of gentler pressings, batonnage, lower sulfur, and cork variability. Because of these things, with a faulty cork, premox happens.

3 Likes

Ah, the dreaded moxidation. I really hate when wines prematurely moxidize.

1 Like

Knoxidation is even worse, Otto!

2 Likes

Good point. Lower phenolics and Lower SO2 = more potential for oxidation. I’ll be making Chardonnay this year and I’m trying to figure out a way to get the benefits of battonage without oxidizing the wine (my thought is to put the wand in, top the barrel, stir, remove wand, finish topping).

A lot of vignerons just roll the barrel.

This subject baffled me a lot until I read about glutathione, which is found in the lees. The newer presses are designed to eliminate a lot of lees, but they can be programmed in many ways. Reducing the lees, lowering the SO2 , riper musts…recipe for disaster.

Just don’t do battonage after malolactic is complete and CO2 is no longer being liberated in the wine. Also no need to stir beyond the point at which the wine becomes visibly cloudy.

2 Likes

Mel, glutathione is probably a key here. It reacts with certain phenols in the freshly pressed must while in contact with oxygen, forming a solid that settles out before fermentation. I think this is a key to removing the types of phenols that actually help drive ‘oxidative’ reactions later on when the wine is finished.

The types of solids generated at the press seem to matter here as well. It has to do with enzyme systems associated with certain tissues. I really don’t think it is simply a matter of getting more polyphenols from the grape to protect the wine later. It’s a matter of getting the right things and not the wrong things, then getting rid of more of the wrong things at the right time.

See you in November…

F

2 Likes

Fred,
I have to wait until November??

You and i talked about the idea of ‘let’s see what people who don’t have premox issues do’’ .
It seems to me that everyone I know here who makes ageable chardonnay is a believer in lees contact.
Now, what the source of the glutthione is in lees, dunno. Beyond my high school chemistry.

There is glutathione occurring in grapes as well as that which is produced by yeast. They have separate roles at separate times. I think that stuff occurring in grapes plays the major role in removing unwanted material before fermentation. That which is produced by yeast plays a different role down the road.

I’m just getting buried in harvest activity. Call me in November so we can talk in person over some food.

F

1 Like

Fred:
Sounds great! Thanks for your insights.

1 Like