Italian translation help, please - Pago dei Fusi - with bonus translation humor

We quite enjoyed the 2005 Terradora Taurasi “Pago dei Fusi” last night and my wife asked me what “Pago dei Fusi” meant. My mansplanation that that’s the same of this special vineyard or special bottling as opposed to their “regular” Taurasi was quickly rebuffed with a “yeah, I know that but usually those names mean something - what do those words mean?” Now comprehending the question, I turned to my trusty handheld device on which Mr. Google told me it means “I pay for the time zones.”

So here is where I turn to you, fellow Berserkers, anyone have a clue? “Fusi” by itself comes up as “fused” for what that’s worth.

Pago is used in a similar way as in Spain, where it’s an estate-owned defined area, usually a single vineyard. The vineyard is located in the commune of Pietradefusi (near Avellino). I assume “Fusi” is local dialect or a nickname for the hilltops where the grapes are coming from.

1 Like

I don’t know Italian but in Spanish, among several meanings, “pago” can mean a private vineyard, and I believe the same word exists in Italian.

So vineyard of Fusi. What’s fusi? It can be a spindle. Or, from the verb fondere, it can be a fusing or an abundant spilling of liquids (apparently an old usage) or from its meaning as a slice, it can be a time zone.

From their website it does say it’s the name of the place and also of a rural roman tradition.

1 Like