TN: 2010 Domaine Charvin Châteauneuf-du-Pape

• 2010 Domaine Charvin Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (8/14/2022)
    Decanted 2hrs. On one hand, perhaps not the most opportune time to open this, yet I was really glad I did, as I feel I have a very clear marker on where this wine is now and where it will be in the years ahead. My first taste of this in 15 had me dub it as the “Ivan Drago’ - or ‘I will break you’ wine - so much structure that it had me wondering if they messed up and just dumped a bunch of Mourvèdre in that bottle by mistake. But now 7 years later, I think we have finally crested the Mountain, and it just a matter of time to let the tertiary elements to fill in. Yet, for all its brawn, there is an elegance too - lovely dark fruit that is both fresh and precise. This baby will sail to 25+ and is going to be a true CdP long distance runner. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Great note. Charvin is wonderful stuff. The Cotes du Rhone as well.

I rarely reach for a CdP, but Charvin was one of my gateway wines. The first cases I ever bought were 2001 Charvin, Pegau and Beaucastel. I’ve always loved the subtle elegance of Charvin, that’s there even in the brawny vintages. Even in weak vintages, I prefer the lighter vintages.

Thanks Warren and Alfert.

Like many here - I have resigned my CdP to my list of the big 4 with Charvin, Beaucastel, Pegau and VT. I do confess to having a guilty pleasure with the Usseglio Mon Aieul in some vintages.

And Warren, I was just thinking about seeking a less hyped, cooler vintage of Charvin, any recent one you might recommend? 2012/13 perhaps?

2010 is still too young for me. I had the 2008 Charvin 2 months ago which was in a fine spot (despite the weak vintage), and 2000 earlier, perfect now.
Usually 15 to 20y or more is my timeline, only minor vintages earlier.

I would say the 08, 11, 13, 14 and 17 might work for you. Of those, the 08, 11 and 17 are, I think the ones I like best, though the 13 and 14 are both quite nice. The 12_was an unusually tannic year. It is coming around, and you can drink it with pleasure now. But, with the exception of the 17, which is still young, the others are better for the immediate future.

2 Likes