TN: a Saturday champagne lunch, Krug and friend

Fred came to town so it was a Krug fest. I brought 96 which was my favorite, nutty and honeyed, very harmonious, hints of mushroom and a touch of oxidation. 02 and an older MV were next for me, a step behind 96. The rosé was quite classy, strawberry and red fruits mixed with orchard fruit. 03 had a nice layered density, not at all over ripe, a positive surprise. 98 was also surprisingly tasty and layered. 04 would have been better on its own, a bit outclassed but lean and balanced. I liked 02 Salon very much, not out of step in this company. A very nice afternoon catching up.
E6BA25E9-8DEE-49C5-9015-229F31B1C83F.jpeg

4 Likes

Nice! I have a single bottle of 2002 Krug - hold or drink?

Well done Alan. Sounds like I’ll need to track down some of the '03 for my 20th. The DP P2 was also a slam dunk surprise for the vintage.

either. Showed great but no danger of decline.

2 Likes

Seems like you’re “getting” Champagne (in your belly) just fine!

1 Like

Nice notes! I prefer 02 to 96 at the moment but I think both are great. Not surprised the 04 fared worst.

Is that Salon label blue? Wish a Fred would come to my town…

[cheers.gif]

Not a bad lunch for you and a friend! What did you have for dinner?

Nice lineup, any fried chicken for lunch?

wish, great combo. Chinese restaurant: crab a few different ways, shrimp, scallop, calamari, pork belly, jellyfish, I think geoduck and abalone, though I didn’t try those. Bunch of dim sum. Fu and someone else ordered.

I did have champagne for dinner but not at that level.

Wow, never tasted that many champagnes of this level at once.