TNs: Some wines over long National Day weekend in Singapore

WHITES AND CHAMPAGNES - (8/8/2022)

Casual white/champagne theme that turned up some interesting wines.

• 2012 Olivier Horiot Champagne 5 Sens Les Riceys - France, Champagne
    My contribution, bit of a geeky wine so have been waiting for the right occasion to open this. 2017 disgorgement, zero dosage. Very good complexity and weight to the wine, had a savoury note on the nose and finish. Ripe fruit was well-balanced and gave a slight sweetness to the wine despite the zero dosage. Not going to win a contest for elegance but very enjoyable nonetheless. (91 pts.)
  • 2015 Franz Hirtzberger Riesling Smaragd Singerriedel - Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau
    Guessed this to be a very good Riesling with the petroleum on the nose, high acid and weighty character that only the best wines have. Found this to have more honey notes and less power than the previous time I had it. Still think I prefer younger iterations of Austrian Rieslings that have more tension, the 2018 was absolutely electric. (91 pts.)
  • 2012 Loimer GrĂĽner Veltliner 1Ă–TW Spiegel - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal
    Clearly not a Riesling with the lower acid so out of the two other possible Austrian grapes I guessed a 2008 Sauvignon Blanc. Well-deveoped with honey, melon and ripe green apple notes. Nice round texture to the wine that gave way to a good finish. Drinking well now. (90 pts.)
  • 2020 Domaine Borgeot Bourgogne Blanc Clos De La Carbonade - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc
    Slightly green at first that reminded me of a Sauvignon Blanc, with air the riper, exotic fruits began to show and the wine took on a more classic Burgundian character. Some evidence of oak use on the nose. Unremarkable wine and better choices at this level / price point. (87 pts.)

Some BTG at 67 Pall Mall

• 2019 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Meursault Clos de la Barre - France, Burgundy, CĂ´te de Beaune, Meursault (7/8/2022)
    BTG at 67PM: Two white Burgs batting at a high level. Unanimously called as a better wine than the Caroline Morey at the table, with riper but less exotic fruits if that makes sense. Classic round texture of Meursault with very good acidity. A very complete wine that will age beautifully. (93 pts.)
  • 2000 Ridge Monte Bello - USA, California, Santa Cruz Mountains (7/8/2022)
    BTG at 67PM: Cool dark red fruit, lots of earth and tobacco. Won’t mistake this for a Bordeaux but very classically proportioned, the oak has integrated nicely here. (91 pts.)
  • 2018 Caroline Morey Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Champs-Gain - France, Burgundy, CĂ´te de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru (7/8/2022)
    BTG at 67PM: Two white Burgs batting at a high level. This was more linear than the Lafon but not quite as well balanced today, with the open-knit, exotic fruit sticking out a little. (90 pts.)
  • 2019 Henri Magnien Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Champeaux - France, Burgundy, CĂ´te de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru (7/8/2022)
    BTG at 67PM: Another jammy and warm-fruited 2019 Burgundy with candied red strawberries. Not the biggest fan. (87 pts.)
  • NV BĂ©rĂŞche et Fils Champagne Brut RĂ©serve - France, Champagne (6/8/2022)
    Disgorged Oct 2021, 6g/l dosage. Good mix of generous citrus and green apple fruit. Reminded me of the Ulysse Collins that I have tried before albeit with higher dosage, good heft and weight but with a lovely freshness and ripe fruit. (91 pts.)

INTRODUCING SOME FRIENDS TO WINES - (10/8/2022)

Dinner at Tasty Loong generously hosted by Gibson, got to taste a few off-menu specials - the shark cartilage soup was a particular standout. Brought all the wines to share with friends who wanted to learn more about wines to give a good breadth of different regions and to show that it is possible to get good wines below $70 - had two that hit it out of the park for the price range, one par, and two that were disappointing (even though some liked the Coudoulet).

• 2015 Château de Plaisance Savennières Le Clos - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Savennières
    Deep golden colour with oxidative tones. Low acidity that made the wine feel heavy, some honey and overripe green apple notes. Not sure if it was a correct showing or this was advanced. (87 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Taupenot-Merme Gevrey-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, CĂ´te de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin
    Clearly from a more classic vintage, elegant and light but without being dilute. Was also rather silky for a Gevrey rather than being savoury and meaty. Some sour cherries began to show with air. Unlike more vaunted bottles last week, this definitely punched above its weight and was my favourite on the night. Drinking well now. (92 pts.)
  • 2010 Château de Beaucastel CĂ´tes du RhĂ´ne Coudoulet de Beaucastel - France, RhĂ´ne, Southern RhĂ´ne, CĂ´tes du RhĂ´ne
    A more correct bottle this time but still with excessive alcohol. Ripe cherries on the nose, quite plummy and lots of alcohol burn on the finish. Others liked it more than I did. (88 pts.)
  • 2014 Azienda Agricola Elvio Cogno Barbaresco Bordini - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    A lighter rendition of Nebbiolo, but the acidity and biting tannins were still present and gave the wine typicity. A little wild and earthy in a good way, my second favourite of the night. (91 pts.)
  • 2005 Château Lanessan - France, Bordeaux, MĂ©doc, Haut-MĂ©doc
    This was larger-framed than I expected, having had the 2009 before which didn’t show as much warmth or alcohol. Blackcurrant fruit, cassis, this was still unyielding at the moment with the wall of structure being dominant. (89 pts.)

Nice notes! How was the Bouland? I don’t believe I’ve tried a 2020 yet but saw William Kelley gave it very high marks.

1 Like

Thanks! Recommended my friend the Bouland so just took a tiny sip from him, but from my impression it needs a lot more time, the large frame hasn’t integrated all the components yet.

1 Like