Charles Noellat Santenay

Hello friends -
I recently purchased two bottles of Charles Noellat Santenay (Burgundy) from K&L Wine in California. Admittedly, I knew little about the producer but was rather drawn to the appellation (I love the subtleties of Santenay pinot) and the age on the bottles. Neither are notable vintages but my curiosity was still piqued. Sadly, there is little information out there regarding the producer in relation to these specific bottles. Noellat is of course a well known family in the region, but details on these bottles are hazy at best. Is anyone familiar with them and, if so, what might have to look forward to??
Thanks very much!
Cheers ~
IMG_2232.jpg

I think 1991 is a highly overlooked vintage. Might be asking a lot for a Santenay to go 31 years, but it wouldn’t surprise me. Charles Noellat was bought by Leroy some time ago.

bought in 88 but I believe some wines and vineyards were not included in the sale.

I’ve purchased some of these older Charles Noellat wines. Not earth shattering but if you let stand to settle the sediment and “audouze” for an hour or so, they show respectably well. I would start with the village and see how that goes, then do the 1er if that isn’t painfully obvious.

Goodluck.

1 Like

This is now a négociant label, they buy (mostly) mature wines and release them under their label is my understanding - a bit like the Collection Bellenum of Maison Roche de Bellene for example.