Do all beckstoffer wines taste the same?

From your experience do you think that different wineries that use grapes from the same beckstoffer vineyards are able to produce unique wines? Places like Alpha Omega, Schrader, Vice Versa, Realm ect.

Yes. Each winemaker makes many decisions about how to handle the grapes. sorting, fermentation, temp, time is tank, racking, time in the barrel and choice of barrel and toast. These are a few of the things that effect the wine.

Lance, welcome!

I will give an heretical answer.

First: Mike S is right, so many things the winemaker does makes for great variety! And now we have micro-blocks within vineyards, etc…very exciting and fun. I’ve been given walks through some of the vineyard and even within a vineyard like Las Piedras, there is almost row to row variation! I find it fascinating.

My heresy is that I think modern ‘ultra-sorting’ of grapes at harvest has made for a touch more homogeneity of the product at that level. The general quality is probably up, but I think there used to be even greater winery to winery or vintage to vintage variation back in the day.

Welcome, again!

1 Like

Short answer, no.

I find Las Piedras and George III to be very different from To-Kalon and Crane, and honestly usually show a lot of earthy and savory flavors.