Choose a red and a white from Mastro's list

MACM WINE 8.4.22.pdf (712 KB)
Having a business dinner at Mastro’s Costa Mesa.

Thoughts on a red and a white to order for the table (11)?

Most are casual wine drinkers.

Probably would like to keep it under $100/bottle unless some fantastic deals on the list.

My somewhat go-to for restaurant list reds is Cain Cuvee, as it is relatively inexpensive and a general crowd pleaser. The Cain Cuvee is the NV16 at $80.

TIA.

Tom

If your guests are “casual wine drinkers”, I might go with the ZD Chardonnay at $78, and the Hourglass Blueline Merlot at $105. Both of these wines should have wide appeal and I think your guests would love them…I would be interested to know what you end-up choosing

Thanks Paul. I would say 7 of the 11 are casual wine drinkers, 2 of the 11 are fairly serious, and the remaining two are WB types.

I will definitely post what I end up ordering and what people thought of the choices.

If I were choosing, I think I’d go with the Spottswoode Sauvignon Blanc ($95), and the Radio-Coteau La Neblina Pinot Noir ($100).

Given the breakdown of the peeps in attendance, id go with the Hanzell Chardonnay and the Hartford zin. Both under your price point and should be appreciated across the board [cheers.gif]

This, all day long.

2 Likes

I would order the Brocard Chablis and a red from Italy or Spain. Maybe the Caparzo BdM if $117 is still OK. Maybe the Pesquera or one of the Riojas (e.g. either of the La Rioja Alta wines).

If there’s Albariño on a list I cant find anything obvious, that’s my go-to. Almost always a decent to good choice.

1 Like

I am a big fan of the 2015 Masi Costasera and I tend to find Amarone is enjoyable to less serious wine people as they tend to not be looking for subtle wines. It is a bit higher than you wanted to spend though at $130

2016 Lamole di Lamole | Gran Selezione | Chianti Classico should be great and sub $100.

The 2016 Caparzo Brunello wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

Personally I would pick between these depending on what people are eating. I will defer to others for a white though.

My vote

Henriot Souverain Brut

Frog’s Leap Merlot

Right on budget!

2 bottles for 11 people??? [wow.gif]

Excellent choices.

1 Like

Warm Butter Cake

You’ll thank me later

Love the Butter Cake.

We are doing a semi-set menu. Dessert choices are Cheesecake, Chocolate Sin Cake, or a personal size of the Butter Cake. Would be surprised if anyone chose anything but the Butter Cake.

Something that might be a head turner for a casual wine drinking would be the 2020 Merry Edwards SB($85)…little richer with exotics, tad sweetness, yet plenty citrus cut. And this is a steakhouse right…so 2018 Groth Cabernet Sauvignon($130) (94pts VN btw) is always a go to in that range.

How about going all French? I think that looks a little different and interesting when you’re at a business dinner with folks that might not encounter that as often. And I think these would both be really good wines in that range.

How about:
WHITE: Albert Bichot | Domaine Long-Depaquit | 1er Cru | Les Vaillons 2018 (Chablis) $105
RED: Château Boutisse 2016 (St Emilion) $90

My wife has reverse engineered the butter cake at home. I should say about 95%. The internet is loaded with people claiming to have the recipe.

She just can’t commit to adding more sticks of butter to get the last 5%. LOL

The Lobster Mac and Cheese doesn’t suck either.

When you have that many sticks of butter, how much worse can it be to add a few more :wink:.

That said, can you really taste the difference?

I was a huge fan of the Crab and Truffle Risotto, but it’s not on the menu anymore, which I thought had better flavor than the Lobster Mac and Cheese.

And thanks all for the wine suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

I’ll probably end up running a final list of choices by the other WB type drinker.

I like the Hanzell Chardonnay pick, and then with the savings maybe the 2010 Laurel Glen Cab? Great traditional producer, and at least a bit of age on it.

That Hanzell is their entry level chard Sebella…you guys know that right?

I’ve not tried it, but as you mentioned casual drinkers, I wonder whether a Pinot Grigio from a decent producer might be fun to get them to try
64923 Terlato | Pinot Grigio | Friuli 2019 60
or if not, an Albarino
87343 Pazo das Bruxas | Albariño | Rias Biaxas 2019 50

This might appeal for dessert
65998 Michele Chiarlo | Nivole | Moscato d’Asti | Piedmont :wine_glass: 2020 54

Struggling for a red, finding the Italian selection uninspiring. Rioja is a possibility and often a safe option. Otherwise I’m oddly drawn to Ridge’s petite syrah