TN: 2020 Tensley Syrah Colson Canyon Vineyard

• 2020 Tensley Syrah Colson Canyon Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (8/4/2022)
    Day 1: This is showing really well and for $32 a bottle hello! Exotic spices, black pepper, underbrush, blackberries, floral, earth and sour cherry. Medium plus and pleasing finish. For sure need to get more. 94 points
    Day 2: Sour berries, exotic spices, black pepper, floral, underbrush, earth and dust. Very balanced effort and nice acidity. This is a stellar bottle. 94 points
    Day 3: On day 1 and 2 each glass offered a sweet fruit taste. It always blew off as indicated with the notes above. Day 3 this is wine of the year territory especially at the price of $32. Wow! Black pepper, blueberries, boysenberries, bitter chocolate, floral, Asian spices, crushed rock and smoked meats. I had a lot of great Syrah wines from Walla Walla last month but this in a blind tasting might beat them all. 95+ points
    Recommendation: I normally don’t buy a case of any wine but making an exception here! Patients will reward you on this wine and it is not a pop and pour. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Thanks for the notes. I appreciate the sneak peak. This is an impressive wine from year to year. I was thinking of trying my first one in 2025. Your note is tempting me accelerate that time line.

2 Likes

I’m drinking my ‘07s right now, and there are so much fun. Amazing that they are still $32!!

Howard

1 Like

We have a local wine shop that if you do some searching you get some amazing prices. The good news is most people are not doing the leg work so plenty for me!

1 Like

Similar situation here local bistro had Jaffurs 2019 Syrah for $17. It was there for awhile because I first noticed it a few months ago. Bought one bottle and liked it enough so went back and bought all they which was a case.
Sometimes these no brainer deals come along fir no reason.

I love Syrah and I also love the fact that many don’t even buy it so win for us! [cheers.gif]

Joel,

Where? That’s crazy low

1 Like

Have they cut back on the RS on these?

For sure they are fruit forward wines but nothing like a Caymus. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

It seems someone agrees with the OP’s sentiment: https://twitter.com/mankrankl/status/1556816960851025921?s=21&t=J0_4wjCSHJ1cd_y-KhMMsQ

2 Likes

Agreed. While my '07’s have been gone for a while, the '10’s are quite nice right now.

I had a 2010 Colson Canyon a month ago and it was fabulous. But the 2020 is something special. It’s the best young Colson Canyon I’ve had. Way better than the ‘17 and we know what scores and rankings that got.

Wish I could afford to try one of his wines. [cheers.gif]

What did it get?

1 Like

That’s not exactly reassuring.

1 Like

This should reassure you. [cheers.gif]

Day 3: On day 1 and 2 each glass offered a sweet fruit taste. It always blew off as indicated with the notes above. Day 3 this is wine of the year territory especially at the price of $32. Wow! Black pepper, blueberries, boysenberries, bitter chocolate, floral, Asian spices, crushed rock and smoked meats. I had a lot of great Syrah wines from Walla Walla last month but this in a blind tasting might beat them all. 95+ points

1 Like

2020 Tensley Syrah Colson Canyon Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (9/13/2022)
Day 1: Blueberries, sour cherry, menthol, black licorice, blackberries, smoke and black pepper. Again amazing stuff. One flawed bottle but the other 2 are off the charts on the QPR. 93 points

Hard to believe that Jaffurs Syrah was $17 a bottle. As I type this I am sipping an extraordinary ‘18 Jaffurs Bien Nacido that listed for $55 but even with searches on the internet was still $45 or more plus shipping.

Jaffurs Petit Sirah retails at $38 and the best price is around $30+ shipping. This also sells out as a future which might be in the upper 20’s.

As I type this the Chicago Wine company has a 3,000+ lit auction that it literally coming to an end. There are many very real bargains on it right now in the closing minutes.

Don’t promote the bargains at chicago. Just spend way too much on the last one and buying some more. Shhhh.

1 Like

Almost bought some old Tensely but bought some more Reynvaan and Cayuse instead.