TN: 2002 Raveneau Valmur

Of the 3 grand cru Chablis chez Raveneau, Valmur is my favorite. I find Blanchots less minerally, Valmur the most minerally, Clos just behind Valmur. The best ever for me, shockingly, is 1994 Valmur, then 1996. We had a stunning wine of the trip 2010 Valmur in Champagne at Les Crayeres.

So I was eager to drink 2002. Fabulous from the get go. Pop and pour, first w a pâté de campagne, then with roast duck and herb risotto at Opal in Santa Barbara. Waiter foolishly declined the proffered pour.

Just super citrus zest bejeweled with minerals and hints of menthol, super acidity, all balanced and long, depth and weight with no heaviness. Simply great Chablis. Loved it.

5 Likes

Thanks Alan. Sounds awesone. I still have a couple of 02 MdT left, which I have found to be a bit variable. Interesting comment re Valmur - wish I had the experience to comment!!

99/00/02 valmur really singing right now!

WTF is wrong with that waiter?

1 Like

Great to hear that the Valmur showed so well. I agree it is my favorite of the 3 Raveneau GCs because of the complexity as compared to the other 2.

Sounds great Alan. We had an 04 on Friday that showed beautifully.

1 Like

Has anyone tried the 2005 Valmur recently? I have one bottle left, and was wondering if anyone had a recent view on the wine?

Alan…I :heart: U. flirtysmile

love you, too, Buzz. Come on down and we will open some wines.

the perfect lunch companion! Like Churchill said, “a magnum is the prefect size for two for lunch, provided one isn’t drinking.” Wish it had been a magnum.

had the 10 Valmur in November and it was awesome. Also drank the 12 a month ago and again it rocked.

1 Like

Had the 02 clos a few months back. Archetypal chablis but incredibly youthful.

-sigh-