Good wines

A big night with some wine industry mates.

2002 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut: From bottle, this is starting to take on some nutty development. It is powerhouse Champagne, with great fruit intensity. There are bread and toast notes and a finish of good cut and bitter citrus freshness. Length is superb.

2008 Taittinger Champagne Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut : This was great on release but razor sharp and tight. It is just starting to crack open. It is like Roulot Perrieres put through a Sodastream. There’s fine citrus and blossom and fabulous weight without heaviness. It has brilliant mineral cut, is so fine and expansive and persistent.

2012 Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut Cramant : Very pure, fresh and elegant. White peach fruit is trimmed with a touch of aniseed spice. There’s a biscuitiness to the aroma. It has fine bead and creamy mousse and a dry/chalky finish.

1976 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne, Grand Cru : A bottle that was re-conditioned and released by the Domaine last year. This was splendid. Complex aromatics of white mushroom, ripe peach, almond butter, chamomile and preserved lemon. It had Corton line in the mouth and fabulous flavour intensity. Each sip unlocked another savoury subtle nuance. The finish was lowish in acidity, but incredibly fresh and loaded with chalky dry extract and flavours lingered for an age.

2016 Etienne Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Perrières : Plenty of spearmint to the aroma. Has the most pure white peach fruit. It is unctuous, with Grand Cru-like weight and power. It is intense and a wine of detail and finesse. Superb!

2012 Domaine Roulot Meursault Les Tillets: Showing some light exotic notes…think rockmelon and paw paw. The palate has terrific build, with a high-tensile, mineral base. It is detailed and chewy, with some almond butter and real silkiness. In a very nice place.

2017 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Meursault 1er Cru Charmes : A restrained nose of white peach, lemon and Arum lily. The palate is intense and rich, yet contained. There’s a sappy feel, but it is light on its feet. The finish is fine and it has great cut. A wine that has a cool feel and one that has barely evolved. Will be something special in a decade.

2017 Henri Boillot Corton-Charlemagne, Grand Cru : Quite a bit darker in colour than the PYCM. There was so much struck match and toast to the aroma. The palate was deep and dense, loaded with sappy orchard fruits. It had good drive and a finish that was chewy.

2018 Domaine Dujac Morey St. Denis 1er Cru: Expressive and quite giving. A highly-perfumed nose of blue fruits, floral spice and sweet earth. It is rich and layered, with a creamy texture and a finish carried by ripe tannins.

2018 RĂ©mi Jeanniard Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Les Ruchots: A little bit chunky and rustic next to the Dujac. Blue and black fruits. A sweet core with some earthy nuance. Some meatiness to the back-end.

2014 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée : Plenty of lift to the nose with punchy floral spice notes, some smoked meats and raspberry fruit. It is creamy rich and voluminous, with excellent depth for its level. Tannins are ripe and sweet and it fans out on the finish.

2020 Forey Père et Fils Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Gaudichots : The nose has a suggestion of sandalwood and freshly grated ginger. There are dark cherry, pomegranate and spiced plums too. It is intense and powerful, but supremely compact and tight for now. It has ripeness underpinned by minerally acidity and a finish that fans out and drives on and on. It is all here, it just needs a decade or two in the cellar.

1964 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Riserva Speciale Santo Stefano: Decanted for 8 hours and simply brilliant once we got to it. The nose immediately draws you in with notes of truffles, rose petals and red fruits. It is rich and powerful but so perfumed. There’s earthy nuance and plenty of spice. It builds through the palate, is silky of texture and so expansive. All sorts of exotic flavours repeat. What a treat.

2012 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Falletto: A very pretty nose of decaying rose and paisley fruits. It has a lipstick note and a palate that is deep and glossy. It is ripe and heady, with good depth and some muscle to the back-end.

1 Like

No Northern Rhone Syrah? [wink.gif]

Indeed, good wines- great notes as usual Jeremy.

Great wines and notes, but you rarely drink bad wines anyway!!

Thanks for your, as always, great notes.

I don’t don’t think you’ve ever drunk a bad wine.

I taste plenty of bad wine Markus, but subscribe to the Len Evans theory of capacity when it comes to drinking. A bad bottle drunk, is a good bottle wasted. We only have so much drinking time on this planet.

3 Likes

Thanks Jeremy. So sorry to hve had to miss this one. Another lovely line up and I am sure you were all as fresh as trouts yesterday!

As fresh as 5 day old fish!

Is that all ya got? champagne.gif

Great lineup! I had the '08 Taittinger Comtes a few years ago and all I remember is the painfully high acid at first sip. I managed to leave the rest of my glass until the end of the evening, at which time it had opened beautifully, but it was at room temp and the bubbles were gone. I will find another bottle and go back to it.

Dan Kravitz

Ain’t that the truth! [cheers.gif]