TN: 2017 Emmanuel Brochet Champagne Le Mont Benoit Extra Brut (France, Champagne)

Bruised apples, almond skins, mahlab, Kaffir lime zest, pomelo, a touch of wax. Dense and complex on the palate. The attack is broad and incisive with a fine mouse; the mid palate filled with acid and tension and the finish long and mineral.

The whole drinking experience conjured up a rattlesnake in my mind. With the nose like the snake coiled up and rattling its tail warning of what’s to come ahead and a sip like it hissing lunging and fiercely lunging at you. There’s real energy and tension in this bottle. Tried it over two days and it seemed to round out significantly at lunch the following day.

A delicious champagne for a hot summer’s day, but I reckon it’ll benefit quite a bit from a few years in bottle to round out the rough edges.

ABV: 12%
Closure: natural cork
Stem: Spiegelau Universal
Decant: N/A; drank over the course of two days
Extra info: ‘based’ on the 2017 vintage with 70% reserve wines from 2011-2016. 40% Pinot Meunier, 40% Pinot Noir, 20% Chardonnay; no dosage; disgorged Dec 2020

1 Like

Great producer! For some reason a lot of Brochet (relatively speaking) seem to be consumed here in Finland. Love the Hauts Chardonnays but they are all tasty, although haven’t tried the saignee rosé yet.

The saignee is probably my favourite wine Brochet makes. Definitely worth tracking down

1 Like

I actually have a bottle of the 2018 harvest in the cellar. Do you think it is good to go or worth waiting a bit?

Have had the 2018 a handful of times this year, it’s pretty ready to go.

Good to know! I think I’m going to pop it whenever I’m making steak tartare the next time.