California Wine Lists: Largest gap from list to aftermarket?

I’ve read the other wine list threads but thought this would be a fun question to ask.

Mac, se

2 Likes

SQN?

1 Like

TFL

1 Like

In which direction? [smileyvault-ban.gif]

There are a lot of junk wines that are worth pennies on the dollar after they’re first sold.

Kinsman Eades has a big gap.
Screagle Sauv Blanc….

1 Like

[rofl.gif]

FTW!

1 Like

2013 SQN…And An Eight Track…list price .01…now $210.

2010 Screaming Eagle SB…list price $250…now $5000.

1 Like

I’ll add Tusk which has a pretty good gap.

1 Like

Realm Absurd

1 Like

Didn’t the OP ask about Wine Lists and not specific wines? Am I reading this wrong? newhere

To clarifly, as everyone knows, many DTC lists increased prices enough where the list price is on par with the aftermarket (or even higher). There are obviously examples though were the DTC lists are still selling well below the aftermarket price. My original post was asking for specific wine examples where the pricing gap between list and aftermarket is still wide.

1 Like

If you’re talking about a premium of 50% or more, I’d guess Screaming Eagle (especially the Sauv Blanc), MacDonald, and perhaps Kinsman Eades.

Scarecrow was there with the 2016 vintage, but I think that their gap has narrowed. Dalle Valle MDV still seems to enjoy a big markup, but I was just offered 2013 Maya for $600, which is above the price that it is (still) available locally.

SQN is mixed. I’ve been able to buy the occasional bottle of SQN from wine shops for below release prices, but none of the extended barrel age ones. Even then, I’d be surprised if the markup were 50%. I don’t know anything about Realm Absurd.

3 Likes

Most of the Realm “list” has almost immediate markups of 20-30%, even their “entry level” Bard. A few of the larger jumps from the 2018 vintage (list price → WSP price):
Bard: $110 → $148
To Kalon: $250 → $430
Dr Crane: $300 → $600
Absurd: $575 → $1000

The Bard seems to have about 20% jump on release and tends to rise to 40-50% after a year or two, probably after the release hits the market then the supply becomes a little less but still good demand.

3 Likes

I feel like a ton of lists do. While sure, there are exceptions for certain cuvees, vintages, or maybe deals to be had once in a while a lot of wines from the following producers have significant (if not huge) markups in the secondary market vs. DTC:

• Aubert
  • Fingers Crossed
  • Myriad
  • Rivers-Marie
  • Ultramarine

I’m sure there are a ton more, but these are ones I’m familiar with since I buy from them.

1 Like

Asking price on Wine Searcher for the odd bottle or two is not indicative of selling price or market value. Try moving a ‘normal’ sized allocation of most of those mentioned above and be prepared to be disappointed if you are counting on WS spot prices.

1 Like

Of course we don’t have selling price from these resellers but the Wine Searcher average price and availability over a number of years for earlier vintages for the wines that have been discussed pretty clearly show what these wines are selling for on the after market, which was the OP’s original question. If his true intent is to find which wines he should buy to flip and make a quick buck, as you say, that’s a different story.

But, giving him the benefit of the doubt, none of us like buying wine direct from a winery then seeing it being sold online or down the street at a lower price.

1 Like

Maybe a different way to look at it is to ask, “could you make money reselling on WineBid | Online Wine Auctions | Buy and Sell Fine Wine

For SQN newer that 2010, the answer is “no.”

Agree this is the best way to answer. There aren’t many anymore. SE, Macdonald, Kinsman Eades. A few specific wines from producers like Realm but not most of the portfolio. Maybe a couple others?