TN: 91 Vogue Musigny VV

bought on release, given away compared to current pricing, opened tonight. Gorgeous wine from the get go with room to run, super nose of iron, a bit of meat, licorice, dark fruit, all echoed on the palate, dark fruit and plum, hints of smoke, just gorgeous. Silky palate. Wife rarely has more than a glass or so, but tonight kept pace with me the entire bottle, emptied too quickly. 91 reds are a forgotten vintage, far better than considered when released in the shadow of 90.

4 Likes

Cheers!

Well done Alan and wife. The last wine my wife kept pace with me was an '01 DRC Monty.

Thanks Alan. Don’t see many notes on the '91’s. A vintage I very much like.

1 Like

Sounds like a great bottle. Agree with all that 91 is such a great vintage that got lost for quite a while.
Vogue did have a lot to make up for after their 90 Musigny VV, which may be one of the worst made wines of all time.

When Vogue hits, it hits hard! [cheers.gif]

I got burned on a couple of bottles of the '90. I was chasing points at the time and I think WS and Parker gave it high praise. It was just a bloody mess. Best '91 I have had was Ponsot CdLR from magnum that I picked up at auction. I brought it to a dinner around '10 and we were all blown away.

I remember this splendid wine well. I bought it at Sam’s in Chicago for the then princely sum of $75, and opened it at a tasting for neophytes. It was such a revelation to one of the people there that he became a serious Burgundy lover, and has been for years a prominent member of the local Confrérie Chapter.

Friends,

91 a forgotten vintage? Not to insiders. On par with 90 imho to say the least. The ROMANEE-ST-VIVANT by HUDELOT-NOELLAT was my wine of the vintage. Power without weight. Total finesse. But Vogüé came close. Totally true : when Vogüé hits, it hits hard.

SINCERELY JOHAN

1991 is one vintage that has always seemed difficult to find on the secondary market, even many years ago. I recently opened a bottle of the 91 d’Angerville Ducs that I thought was lovely…fresh on the palate and with a long, beautiful finish.
I have nary a 91 left, unfortunately.

I haven’t consumed many '91s, but DRC GE was ravishing a few years ago.
Thanks for the note Alan.

Well done . It’s my oldest boy’s birth year and I never realised how good 1991 red burgundy was . Wish I bought more for him

absolutely true about 1991 – although in Burgundy the domaine can sometimes transcend the vintage

91 Rousseau is pretty awesome.

1 Like

This thread strikes a chord with me:

Many years ago some friends and I planned a special dinner around a pair of 1991 DRCs, Richebourg and La Tache. Many white Burgundies and a couple of 2000 reds (Clos du Tart) preceded the 1991 focus. My contributions were 1991 Rousseau Chambertin and 1991 Vogue Musigny. While everyone fawned over the DRCs (which were very fine!) I thought the Rousseau and Vogue easily held their own. To this day I think the ‘91 Musigny is the best “modern” Vogue I’ve ever had.

Damn, it was so much easier to be ballers back then!!

the one that sticks with me is the 1991 Leroy Musigny…

mine probably would have been way out ahead of me!

2 Likes

I can also recall the '91 Leroy - Chambertin, with a finish so long, I was still tasting it the next day…

:slightly_smiling_face: